Took a ton of pix of my roll bar install

why not through the floor and to the frame? i thought this style (what you have had done) was only legal on unibody cars like mustangs and f bodies...
i may be wrong...

Nice looking job. Not attached to the frame so it's not legal though....

Nice looking job. Not attached to the frame so it's not legal though....

Uh-oh. Welllll, You may be right, just checked the rule book and it does states unibodys only for this type of install:mad:. The welder assured me he's done many like this and said "It's the way its done". Have gone through tech several times and never had it challenged. Of course that don't mean it would pass certification. From the job he did though, I have every confidence it's as safe as welding to the frame. (At least that's what I'm telling myself):redface:

how much? if its not legal whats the point in doin it? looks like they do clean work tho. it fits tight

i would be very pissed off. you have just increased your chances of being hurt in an accident.

Uh-oh. Welllll, You may be right, just checked the rule book and it does states unibodys only for this type of install:mad:. The welder assured me he's done many like this and said "It's the way its done". Have gone through tech several times and never had it challenged. Of course that don't mean it would pass certification. From the job he did though, I have every confidence it's as safe as welding to the frame. (At least that's what I'm telling myself):redface:

Cliff,

You will pass tech until the person doing the inspection slides under the car and notices there aren't any tubes going down through the floor and welded to the frame. I would definitely take it back and have it fixed. Take a copy of an NHRA rule book with you.

If you get a chance, talk to Geno about how he did the roll bar in his street car....made it much easier on my last GN.

Letter to NHRA

I wrote a letter to Dave Schaffel the NHRA Northwest Division tech consultant. Sent him 4 photos of the roll bar installation showing the points where the bars are welded to the deck. Here is my letter and his response. The fix he suggests shouldn't be too difficult.

To: Dave Schaffel, NHRA Tech Consultant,

Hello, I would like to know if my roll bar installation is legal. The car is a 1987 Buick Grand National, G-body, with a stock frame. The car will be running less than 11.49 but not less than 11.00 secs in the 1/4 mile. In the photos you will see all six contact points are welded to the deck or rocker sills on minimum of 6" square, 1/8" thick steel plates. I am aware this is the type of installation normally used on unibody cars. Just need to know if this is also legal for my car or is it mandatory that it be welded to the frame. Thank you for your consideration. If you need any other information please let me know.

Cliff Cabe, Tigard, Oregon

Hi Cliff,
Unfortunately the rulebook requires that the roll bar on a full framed car such as this must be bolted to or welded to the OEM frame or crossmembers/outriggers attached to the OEM frame. The 6 x 6 plate method is only permitted on uni-body cars.
In order to correct this I would accept the addition of 1-3/4” tube gussets on each point which are then welded directly to the frame/crossmember/outriggers.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Sincerely,
Dave Schaffel

In order to correct this I would accept the addition of 1-3/4” tube gussets on each point which are then welded directly to the frame/crossmember/outriggers.

Sooo... what exactly does that mean? You would basically weld "spacers" between the frame and body of the car? Sounds reasonable I suppose. Make the guy do it for free too...

Hope this all works out and you will be legit. The work does look nice.

Just so you know, this is no where near the safety of a frame welded setup. The purpose of welding to the frame is to keep the body on the chassis. Not sure if you've ever see what it looks like when these cars come off the chassis, but it's gut wrenching for sure.

I would have if fixed asap.

The good news is, he did a damn good job anyways! I would be happy with it, if it were a unibody car!