too much stall

pwhite

can going with a high stall on a small turbo hurt performance. when I swaped to a turbo 400 I got it with a 3500 stall. I still run a te-44. should this hurt my 1/4 times. I have no times yet but plan on making a few runs soon . I got the high stall thinking if it was too much i would swap to a larger turbo. I know this sounds like a rookie question but I just wanted some feed back. should this change the height of slicks I buy

thanks

th 400

Just going to a 400 is going to slow you down. It takes 25- 30 more hp To drive that trans. When i went to a 400 my car slowed down 2.5 tenths. Tom

installing a turbo400 trans in your car did not cost you 35hp.
The rate of acceleration has changed.you're 200r4 trans has a 2.74:1 first gear ratio while the
turbo400 has a 2.48:1 first gear. you're loss was due to a
gear ratio change. If you're up grading to a larger turbo
anyway, then the 3500rpm converter was a good investment.
that way you won't have to buy another converter.

thanks for the replys ...... I am aware of the losses of going to a 400 as well as the gear ratio my trans has what I was asking is how the te-44 would act with a 3500 stall. and if I should buy 26" or 28" slicks

Te 44

A 3500 stall should work good. If you have a transbrake, i would go with the 28's. BUT! if you have stock axles i would be careful! I had the same setup but with a ta50. I used 28-10.50. My 400 has the 2.76 first gear TOM

I got the stock 2.48 first gear and a brake I just picked up a set of drag lights and am about to buy slicks . I am leaning toward the 26" unless someone has a good reason why to go with 28"

thanks

You shouldnt have any problems spooling that 44 with that much stall.:p It could hurt your mid to top in pull.If i were you i just leave it in there. Gives you an excuse to buy a turbo that matches your stall.:D

I would go 28's.

I'm only running mid to low 12's, going from 26" BFG's to 28" BFG's gave me a tenth and a half and 2 mph comparing apples to apples.

It also depends on the efficiency of your converter.

My 2 cents...

Well, my experience with a TE62 turbo when I switched to a "7" pump 9.5" PI l/u from a 2800 D5 was that it slowed me down by .2! Felt good on the street but I guess it was launching me above my torque band at the strip!