To pull or not to pull

Rollin

I blew a Headgasket tonight at the track 94 mph at the eighth>tuning for the up coming shootout @ 24lbs < it blew 1000 ft out and coasted thru to a mid 12. Anyway it's blown on the pass side in btwn 2-4 and is leaking externally sounds like a large header leak, no intermix of fluids. Anyway I'm debating pulling the entire motor or just r&r'ing the head(s) Which would you do???? or for those who have done this before whats the fastest way?

Depends on your financial situation. If it was me and I had the money, I'd pull the engine and build the block while the heads were off and it was out of the car. If I didn't have money, I'd just pull the heads, send them to the machine shop to be resurfaced, and replace the gaskets.

band aid it up for the shootout then tear it apart right. hah. i got dibs on mark already. we gotta yank my tranny. its got a 2-3 flair that needs fixing. good luck lets us know what ya do.

p.s my car will be trailered to noble just for this reason. haha

The fastest way is in the car. You have to remove the heads after you get the motor out! Doubles the time if you pull the motor, at least I have found this to be true with a wall full of bad head gaskets!

Course the next question is should you do both? If one is known bad soes that automatically doom the other???? I would think not but ya never know.

Originally posted by Nick Micale
About 99% of the time, the other one is getting ready to go, just do both.

DO BOTH HEADGASKETS!!!

how long has it been since the motor was out?? does the engine bay need a fresh cleansing?

if its dirty and nasty, pull that motor out and pressure wash the frame and everything in site-

then it will surely go faster cause you washed 10 lbs of grease and grime off :)

ALSO-
i hate to bend over the fenders too- pull her out, clean her up, and it will look all new again .....

:D

Unless I was really pressed for time (had to have car running for the weekend) I'd pull the motor and do it on an engine stand. I'd definately do both head gaskets regardless.

-Banning.

rollin-

is tulsa on the way down from kc?? cause if you need a hand let me know-- i could come down thursday after work, 3pm is enough for me, and help you finish it up- noble is about 6 hrs away for me towing-

ive got lots of experience working on the turbobuick :)

wanner@kc.rr.com

Yep Tulsa is on the way thru to OKC thanks for the offer. I'm going to pull it tomorrow. The motor is off a fresh rebuild and has less than 500 miles. Before this happened I was tracking down gremlins. It was backfiring and popping pretty good so much that I think it may have been hurt from the popping and backfiring (going down the road) prior to the the track outing. The high gear pull just brought it out:D Any recommendations for good head gasket's, Fel-pro, GM, Copper?