To paint or not to paint is the question?

chrisaxl87

I have a original paint car with the exception of a few small annoying chips on the hood and lower fender... I'm so Annoyed with them I want to have the areas painted I have touched them up but not satisfied ... Should I just leave them and ignore them being there not that big??!

The car only has original paint once....IF you are going to repaint the car i would be extremely excessive with the documentation and pictures. Having these cars stripped and painted is expensive and needs to be done to have a great finished product that will last. I cant tell you what to do as I am not sure what I would do with a GNX ...I did make the choice on my 43,xxx mile GN, there is a link in my signature to the strip and paint. Good luck

Bryan

I have a original paint car with the exception of a few small annoying chips on the hood and lower fender... I'm so Annoyed with them I want to have the areas painted I have touched them up but not satisfied ... Should I just leave them and ignore them being there not that big??!

Live with it .... Leave it untouched ... ORIGINAL paint is something worth $$$

How is the rest of the car ? Low miles,high miles,excellent condition,driver quality,etc? Plays a factor in touching up or not,IMO.

Do what you think is right , people get hung up on original paint, that was horrible from the factory, a lot of grand nationals needed paint, even Gnx
I think the appearance matters a lot. I personally don't care for a survivor car with crappy paint. If it has a long history I would consider not painting it but I would not wind up keeping that car. If I owned it I would prefer it being the best it could be
And over the years I bet a ton of Gnx got some paint work that was never disclosed
In the end do what you want to your car . Enjoy it! Paint it , if it makes you feel better . We are only on this earth for a short time do what you want to do and don't worry about the pursist,
Drive it enjoy it !

crappy original paint DOES NOT increase the value of ANY car,
as stated, the orig paint was trash, and most that look good were repainted at some point.
do what ever makes you feel good, its your car!

I'll make a comment like this,a 3,4,5k mile super nice GNX for $60-70k better be orig paint.15k milers up with some sign of usage/wear would be nice now to have a nicer paint job than the crappy orig.At first I am one of the ones who wanted that MINT 3,4,5k mile car,but after having some cars like that(ones I look at),have come to a dif stage in life and want to go drive them.With that,I also would say I am still very picky,I do paint/bodywork,so someones elses repaint on one will not do,I would buy a GNX that needs paint,so I can do it myself.
BTW,anyone have one like that ? LOL
I'd have to see what you are describing on your car to make up my mind if I would touch up paint or leave alone.Your car,to me,is caught between the miles I describe.
My 16k mile TTA,all orig/paint/eng/interior has a scratch maybe 1/2'' long right on the hood,I chose to leave it,and not touch up or repaint the hood.

I'm leaning towards keeping it as is.. I guess I can live with the scratches

IF it had 50-60 K ... I would say do what you want
being its a low mile car ... IMHO .. your making a good call ..

To me when I see a GNX or GN with FLAWLESS MINT paint .. it looks fake .

I would rather have a few scratches and original paint that looks nice .. then to have a repaint ... as stated above.. you can always repaint it at any point .. but never have original paint again

I would leave it as-is or do some reaserch to find someone that does touch up work for car dealers. Most of these guys use air brushes to blend in the scratch to a point that it is not very visible.

I would leave it as-is or do some reaserch to find someone that does touch up work for car dealers. Most of these guys use air brushes to blend in the scratch to a point that it is not very visible.

Actually I had this done on a low mile original paint LX I own ... 4 wheeler hit the hood and left a dent ... had a body guy that has done unbelievable work just fix that area..

I would say that 99.9 % of the time you cant tell there was a repaint on that spot.. the light has to be just right and you have to catch it at the exact angle.. and probably most important you have to be looking for it...

HE Insisted for it to be perfect he would have to redo the hood and blend into the fenders.. I made him paint that half dollar spot and not redo the hood.. I can live with the .1 % that I can see the imperfection :)

Car has 11,900 miles rest of the cars paint is fine just typical clear coat scratches

No clear coat on these. Single stage lacquer. Paint condition sounds typical of an original GN/X with those miles and age. If it's a keeper I say paint it and enjoy. If not and it drives you nuts sell it and search for one that suits you better. Maybe one with a few more miles but a newer repaint that someone else took the hit on. They are only original once and you'll have a very difficult time recouping the $15K or so you would spend on a quality paint job. Even though a repaint would very much help the appearance it will do little to help the monetary value of the car and will likely reduce its value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk