To Optima, or Not to Optima?

Who Needs 8

Well, after 5+ years my yellow top optima in the TTA has taken ill. I'm not sure how old it is because it was in the car when I bought it 5 years ago. So it has done its job 110%.

In a nut shell, I'm not driving the car as much anymore. It basically sits in the garage with a trickle charger on the battery.

So should I buy the regular battery that I know won't last 5+ years but has a 3 year replacement/8 year limited warranty or make the investment for an Optima knowing it will last 5+ years.

well I 2 have had great luck with Optima's. I need one now for my RX 7 "mutt" .. BUT some people say they are not as good as they use to be.. See what guys reply here.. Mine is goin inside the car so I am really leaning to an Optima.

Yellow Optima = :D
Red Optima = :(

well I 2 have had great luck with Optima's. I need one now for my RX 7 "mutt" .. BUT some people say they are not as good as they use to be.. See what guys reply here.. Mine is goin inside the car so I am really leaning to an Optima.

I asked the same question on a different board and have heard about diminishing quality.

I found out a few things:
A.) Optima was bought by Johnsson Controls in 2000.
B.) The factory was moved from Denver, Colorado to Monterrey, Mexico (Thank you NAFTA)
C.) On 2/1/2009 the warranty changed.

Pre 2/1/09
Yellow = 12 Months Free Replacement, Remaining 12 Months Prorated
Red = 36 Months Free Replacement, Remaining 36 Month Prorated

Post 2/1/2009
Yellow = 36 months free replacement
Red = 36 Months Free Replacement

I've had too many red tops fail. If something goes wrong and you really draw that batt down they don't come back. Besides, the battery is only for starting really. And it don't really take much for a low compression 6 banger. I've been just as happy with my $35 econo Interstate. And it sat for 4 months. Still had 11.9 when it came time to fire up the new motor.

My Red Top has lasted forever and has been drained down maybe 10 times from sitting in cars for a year plus at a time, that may have only been started once during the year, but have left open doors or interior lights for weeks = total dead short killed battery.

With 10 minutes on the charger at 10 Amps, and it would start the car!

It was first in good cruisin' weather use in the GN, then in everyday use when I put it in my DD, then when that broke a trans it sat for 2 years. GN back in service and I put the old Red Top back in it. GN killed some bearings and the battery sat for another year, then put back into my DD when it needed a battery.

My Red Top has been so good one might think the thing is haunted or something. Of course all that past experience means nothing since they moved the factory - Who knows what is the same about it - certainly not the people that made them when I bought it.

In my eye's Optima's are Junk! I had went through 2 red tops in my last car and finally got sick of exchanging it so I tossed it and went to a Advance Gold (over 800cca) for half the price and never looked back... since than Not a problem... ;)

SW

I have two Optima's, one bought it 2002 that is in my current daily driver. The other I bought in 2004 and that is in the GN. The yellow top is the way to go because in their data it shows (last time I looked) the yellow top can be run down to nothing aprox 250 times before it dies out. The Red top is 5 cycles and it is done. The yellow top is tough as nails. I too have heard the rumors about quality concerns. Something about changes in material qualities?

The optima in my daily driver has been in 2 cars since 2002. The last one I got into an accident with. Hit on the same side as battery (battery was not hit in any way). Moved it to my new car in 2004 and it's still going. I will only buy yellow tops.

My Red Top finally died - this is the battery that just after the kite flying thing, Ben Franklin gave to my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather that passed it on to me...well it was almost that old I tells ya. So I got another one. Says Made In Mexico.

We shall see if it is like the old American Made battery

Go with a diehard platinum from sears about the same price and power as a yellow top can also be mounted inside the car (even sideways if needed and won't spill) plus u can exchange it at any sears in america ( good if your on a road trip) and has 4 years free replacement.

Not! Would never buy one again. Some swear by em, others swear at em..... crap shoot.

In my eye's Optima's are Junk! I had went through 2 red tops in my last car and finally got sick of exchanging it so I tossed it and went to a Advance Gold (over 800cca) for half the price and never looked back... since than Not a problem... ;)

SW

I had the same experience as Scott and went through two red tops. I bought Autozone's brand and have not had any problems.

After reading consumer reports, I went to the local wal-mart for my last battery, cheap, great review, good value.

Chuck

Yup, The reds suck lately. I had them in everything I own for a long time. I would get at least 7-8 years, all was good. then I could not even get 2 years. Went to Oddyseys for now. Deka is another brand I have heard good things about.

I had the same experience as Scott and went through two red tops. I bought Autozone's brand and have not had any problems.

Same here. Put 2 on the truck both lasted < 1 year. Now has interstate. My TR has a now 8 year old interstate on it and no problems.

13 year old yellow top Optima on my car it's going to outlast the body unfortunately. :(

I like the Duralast Gold batteries.
Dan, I still have the Duralast battery from the car I bought from you in '06. I had a newer one and I kept that one in the garage as a spare and put it on the charger every 3 months or so.
Its on my latest project car, when I turn the key it starts, not fast but it starts.
The date code indicates 2003

I've had great luck with RedTop's .... always treated me well... just dont overcharge them.... i just learned my lesson after years mine finally died because my battery charger's timer stuck..... finally wised up and bought a tender [gel series] so i can set i and forget it:smile:

oh and i've read dont let them go below 8 volts