To much zinc ???

RICER X

When using Mobil 1 syn. oil, should I be using the full 4 oz of zddplus or Redline. I read that to much zinc is worse than not using an additive at all and the ppm of zinc and phosphorus are both around 900 ppm-I think. I thought maybe I should only use 2 oz.

I'd run the full bottle of zddp. Mobil 1 isn't very popular in these engines even with zddp. You should be changing the oil at least every 2500 miles anyway so it's not worth the extra money in my opinion. Then again valvoline vr1 isn't cheap either but that's what I use.

In the past few years of using ZDDP, I have never seen or heard of any engine damage doe to it.

However, I do know of a few turbo Buick engines that had issues using Mobil I oil, as well as not changing oil frequently, and my opinion is that 2500 miles is too long for "spirited" driving with a GN! :)

Damn. I've been using Mobil1 since the 80s and go 6000+ between oil changes. And make sure to put on a new filter every other oil change.

Ricer do you have a flat tappet or roller cam?? They will be able to better answer your question with that info

Speaking of ZDDP, was in ACE hardware yesterday to pick up a few things and took a stroll through the automotive section. The blue STP oil treatment now specifically says right on the front of the bottle that it contains ZDDP. FWIW

Speaking of ZDDP, was in ACE hardware yesterday to pick up a few things and took a stroll through the automotive section. The blue STP oil treatment now specifically says right on the front of the bottle that it contains ZDDP. FWIW

Ya, but how much?

^ beat me to it.... I guess technically you can print that if that jug contains 1 molecule of ZDDP :)

In the past few years of using ZDDP, I have never seen or heard of any engine damage doe to it.

However, I do know of a few turbo Buick engines that had issues using Mobil I oil, as well as not changing oil frequently, and my opinion is that 2500 miles is too long for "spirited" driving with a GN! :)

What kind of issues from using Mobil 1? This is all that I've ever used in my '87 GN. Have never heard of issues. Thx.

I have used the stp in the past but I read that it wasn't good to use just because of the change in viscosity. But I haven't seemed to have any problems.

Ricer do you have a flat tappet or roller cam?? They will be able to better answer your question with that info
It's bone stock, with the exception of a kirban k&n cold air intake, it also has 100k miles on it and sounds like a brand new motor. And I'm trying to keep it that way. I love this car!

T
What kind of issues from using Mobil 1? This is all that I've ever used in my '87 GN. Have never heard of issues. Thx.
That's all that has ever been in my car. I'm the third owner and the other two guys kept every receipt work order ect. On this car. I even have all of the parts that came off of her which surprisingly isn't a whole lot considering its an 87 with 100k plus miles.

STP claims proprietary however enough to treat 5 qts of oil....
So Sydwyndr it's ok to be using STP? I was also wondering since I have 100k miles should I be using the high mileage Mobil 1. I have a 5 quart jug here but have still been using their regular 10w-30 syn.

245,000+ on the original flat tappet. After my car was stolen, and blown up, it now has a roller.

Perhaps it was ready to fail when the thieves ran it without coolant and oil pressure.

Still not a good comparison as you can't compare current cam blanks and lifters with 80's vintage blanks and tappets. It's apples and giraffes.

245,000+ on the original flat tappet. After my car was stolen, and blown up, it now has a roller.

Perhaps it was ready to fail when the thieves ran it without coolant and oil pressure.

Still not a good comparison as you can't compare current cam blanks and lifters with 80's vintage blanks and tappets. It's apples and giraffes.
Yes, no comparison I'm just talking from my experience my own personal t type wiped a cam after a oil change to synthetic. have no scientific proof,But several of our old 70's muscle cars with new engines had the same faith after being switched to synthetic after break in so I kind of see a pattern developing .Little more then a coincidence I think ? I just know it won't happen a fourth time.

I run nothing but full synthetic on every engine I build and run. Never had an oil related problem ever.

With gas prices as high as they are, I can't think of one reason to run dino and give up the extra MPG or two.

"Spirited driving?"

Why Nick, what ever do you mean?:D

So how much ZDDP would be too much? I use Amsoil with zinc,and put a full bottle in. I've had the car for 5,000mi. Just put in new valve springs 1,000mi ago. No cam wear.

What I use:

Attachments

• zddp.jpg
    zddp.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 297