To downpipe, or not? That is the question

also with the tb coolant lines rerouted and the egr system gone there's 2 less things to go wrong on your car ;)

I have an '87 Turbo T w/ 90,000. It has TA replacement style headers, Alky control, new Comp cam springs, Tin man CAI, hot wire, pump and reg. Other than that, its stock. Would there be any benefit in changing the stock dp? It wont go to the track, and runs about 18psi. Or would porting the neck be a better option?

Before the TH downpipe became available, porting the cast elbow was the "trick" thing to do.

The fallacy is that the stock downpipe necks down to less than 2" and is still a big restriction even after spending hours "porting" the cast elbow.

We did a few back-to-back track tests with stock ported elbow vs. a TH 3" DP and the least we picked up in performance was .2 ths in the quarter mile which is significant for a single mod.

When we took mods further, another .2 ths was added when we installed a Dut neck on the stock intercooler.

Without a 3" DP, you are not benefitting from the $$$$ you have spent on your other mods, some of the which will give you little or no performance gain.

HP is air/fuel, but if you increase air intake, you MUST also allow it to exit to maximize increased power!

I guess engine function and operation is not being taught any longer as the emphasis is on doing everything with electronics, as the mechanics and physics aspects do not matter?

I have an '87 Turbo T w/ 90,000. It has TA replacement style headers, Alky control, new Comp cam springs, Tin man CAI, hot wire, pump and reg. Other than that, its stock. Would there be any benefit in changing the stock dp? It wont go to the track, and runs about 18psi. Or would porting the neck be a better option?

Save your money.. you wont gain much if anything on your setup over a ported elbow .... this has been proven so many times that its boring already.

you can definitely gain more in fine tuning than you will with a 3" dp .. far more bang for the buck mods than a 3" dp at your power level

Ordered LT1 maf and Translator yesterday. Planning on removing screen, trimming bar off and polishing before install.

Installed LT1 MAF and Translator today, and there's 3 things I've noticed. It starts really quick, the idle is smooth and the throttle response seems to have improved. Just bought 009 42.5# injectors, so that's the next thing on the list. Oh, also got my boost controller, just have not yet install. When I do the injectors, I'm deleting the EGR valve, and removing the coolant lines from the TB. thanks for everyone's input.

Ahh the old days... manual bleed boost control inside car, 116oct, etc streets, hack cat off, dual primary linings with s10 wheel cylinders. Stock turbo stock intercooler stock trans suspension and all (sway bar off front) running times people still dream about with all the fancy gadgets and goodies we have now days. Yes you can go 12.0 with just that

Ahh the old days... manual bleed boost control inside car, 116oct, etc streets, hack cat off, dual primary linings with s10 wheel cylinders. Stock turbo stock intercooler stock trans suspension and all (sway bar off front) running times people still dream about with all the fancy gadgets and goodies we have now days. Yes you can go 12.0 with just that

yea but it just looks "KOOL" when you have the big front mount, big turbo, ported GN1 heads, cam, DFI, billet convertor, twin pumps, -12 fuel lines, 160 pound injectors, 4" downpipe, all billet internals, built trans ...... and run 11.99 :)

You shoud find your self a Ta 48 or TA 49 turbo on the cheap I saw a 48 for sale a week or so ago, some old school ford blue top 36# injector and the best innercooler you can swing, a stock location 15 row or better can be had at pretty good prices lately.for 500-800 bucks will see some big gains even with the stock downpipe. I have modded the stock pipe by heating and expanding the necked down area though at this point a 3" downpipe would make sense. Add the alky kit And it would be all good at this point. I have seen some good deals on these items lately. I did a combo like this for a friend years back and set it up for 25# boost using 110 cam2 fuel and it was an awesome combo to run on the street.

You shoud find your self a Ta 48 or TA 49 turbo on the cheap I saw a 48 for sale a week or so ago, some old school ford blue top 36# injector and the best innercooler you can swing, a stock location 15 row or better can be had at pretty good prices lately.for 500-800 bucks will see some big gains even with the stock downpipe. I have modded the stock pipe by heating and expanding the necked down area though at this point a 3" downpipe would make sense. Add the alky kit And it would be all good at this point. I have seen some good deals on these items lately. I did a combo like this for a friend years back and set it up for 25# boost using 110 cam2 fuel and it was an awesome combo to run on the street.

Funny you say that ... some of the best street setups I've seen are right in line with what you've mentioned .... My favorite setup is a 44 , E85, 80's,TT Chip, DW301 pump, uncapped stock downpipe, ported elbow on the turbine side, some drag radials and its an absolute CANNON on the street .. its a solid 11.50 street setup anytime anywhere .

Old Te60 , ported heads, mease slic, cam2, reds xp, 0 pump vigilante, msd 50s, sticky mickeys, dump pipe, quad air 108 chip, reds volt booster, and .373s was a rocket ship combo on the street but an equal ticking time bomb...:nailbiting:

009's are installed, along w/ TT chip set for 20-25 psi. Got rid of the EGR and plugged off the TB coolant lines. Took it out for a quick test spin to make sure there were no leaks or issues. I will take it out tomorrow, along w/ my K40 radar, and see if I can get the boost controlled set. did some cleaning up and detailing while I had things apart.

Bringing this back from the dead as I am contemplating going with a street only setup. Straight 93 with no alky. My question pertaining to the OP's setup though, would there be any issues with say a TA-49 with the stock elbow/downpipe?

lol I went 11;70@112.00 with a TH down pipe, 009's, front mount and a race chip on 116 at 20lbs boost with sportsman "I's. Everything else was stock. I can do that now with a lot less boost on pump gas...the old days. Man they were fun times. No one knew about GN's back then and I made a lot of money because of that. Drove to race track with sportsman "I" s on the rear, Turn boost up with fish tank valve added 116 and eat mustangs alive....loaded family back up and drove home. 60 miles one way. did this every weekend for about 4 years. Fun times.

I did the ole fish tank valve mod on a Dodge 600 I had back in the day. That little car was a lot funner after that. The turbo and trans didn't like it for too long though.

yea but it just looks "KOOL" when you have the big front mount, big turbo, ported GN1 heads, cam, DFI, billet convertor, twin pumps, -12 fuel lines, 160 pound injectors, 4" downpipe, all billet internals, built trans ...... and run 11.99 :)

ahhhh... the ol Kool Guy Parts :nailbiting: