to advance timing or not...info inside!

nolanator

@none_more_black
I made a few pulls in my car last night with a powerlogger connected, and saw that at WOT, my timing was at 19.8degrees. Although, I am running 91 octane, I am also running alky. I did some some searching on a few other popular forums and saw that quite a few people are having success running up to 24 degrees of timing at WOT with no issue.

Other than one or two seconds of knock signals while RPMs are climbing (probably false knock), I currently have no knock in upper RPMs at 20psi. Given the information provided, could I theoretically advance my third gear timing to about 21 or 22 degrees?

I'll do my best to answer any questions as well. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20psi pull 7 28 15.dat
    73.8 KB · Views: 33
I wouldn't. Boost will get you the most power per psi.
You can squeeze some HP from getting the perfect timing but you are burning a fuel that ignites quicker.
Here is a video explaining what the piston/spark actually does...Its not a Buick but this is the basics.

I wouldn't. Boost will get you the most power per psi.
You can squeeze some HP from getting the perfect timing but you are burning a fuel that ignites quicker.
Here is a video explaining what the piston/spark actually does...Its not a Buick but this is the basics.

I went ahead and scheduled a time to throw the car on the dyno. That will probably get me to the bottom of this.
Thanks for the input.

If you're not going to add boost then you probably will be able to increase ignition timing. If verify the timing first if you haven't already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're not going to add boost then you probably will be able to increase ignition timing. If verify the timing first if you haven't already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll probably see how things look at 22-25 psi with my current timing and then make adjustments on the dyno. The car feels great for the time being.

With my setup I'm running 17 degrees at 28psi. No hint of knock. I'm also able to run 93 so slightly more octane. I can't imagine needing anymore power. Will be interesting to see how yours does.

I'll do my best to answer any questions as well.
I wouldn't touch the timing till you tune past 94mph or past 5100rpm.the car is seeing just under .800mv.you start turning the boost up and getting higher in the rpm range that turbo should get real thirsty and will need more fuel.leave yourself a cushion.

I wouldn't touch the timing till you tune past 94mph or past 5100rpm.the car is seeing just under .800mv.you start turning the boost up and getting higher in the rpm range that turbo should get real thirsty and will need more fuel.leave yourself a cushion.

Yeah that's a good point and part of the reason why I made the dyno appointment. I've been making small test pulls on a side street for a few days and adjusting fuel as I go along, but on this street in particular, I cant make a huge pull to redline, so I've been dependent on needing to shift from second to third to see how the car behaves in upper RPMs. The good news is that after a few weeks of just messing around and taking advice from members here, I have the car running relatively well. I'll be taking the boost back down to 12-15psi on the dyno and work my way up to 22-25psi slowly. My wideband hasn't arrived yet, so using theirs will help out an awful lot.

Their wideband will probably go in the end of the exhaust so its not the most accurate means of measurement. Do not rely on that. The wideband that you will put in the downpipe, much better.

I'd suggest a fresh set of plugs, once you get to the dyno. Take a look at what you have going on, there.