timing ??

gnxis

i know inital timing should be 25 degrees atdc
ive been told jim ruggles always set at 29
what benefit if any to this. what would be down side?
i know there are a lot of opinions on this so let me have it.

If my memory srves me correct -
The only way to adjust timing is in the chip.
Mechanically all the cam sensor does is reference the ecm to where #1 piston is on rotation and mainly for start up.
Adjusting the cam sensor does not adjust actual timing.
To demonstrate: Start the engine, unplug the cam sensor...the engine will run the exact same.

i agree but if you tell ecm where #1 is by setting cam sensor initially then you are effectively degreing cam by setting initial timing to 29 meaning valve timing will be different.
i,m really wanting to know if anyone has experimented with different initial timing.

Timing can only be changed in the chip.
I have heard that timing doesn't really affect these cars too much and that fueling changes can be done to compensate for different timing settings. But I wanted to try it my self so I had a chip programmed for 32* vs the normal 28* and the ET's weren't too far off but the car did seem down on power with the 32. People had told me that 32 was the hot ticket for stock turbo cars but it made a little less power for me. Someone even had almost back to back runs from 26 to 32 and the et's were almost identical.

All my notes and comments are on my website in my sig. I have the chip back to 28 so I will be able to verify the runs again this spring.

hth's
ks:cool:

Originally posted by gnxis
i know inital timing should be 25 degrees atdc
ive been told jim ruggles always set at 29
what benefit if any to this. what would be down side?
i know there are a lot of opinions on this so let me have it.

higher timing=more horsepower
Up to a certain point, then too much timing becomes
counter-productive. Higher timing will generally require
the use of higher octane fuel to supress engine knock and
the resulting loss of horsepower.
My experience with higher timing is exactly what KEVINS just
posted. My car runs strong on 28*and there was no benefit
from 32*, it actually slowed the car a bit.