timing cover install

Cbring

I'm replacing my timing cover and was wondering if I need to readjust the cam sensor. I just unbolted from the old cover and didnt mess with cap at all. Do i have to do anything special with it when reinstalling or just bolt it back in with dot on bottom facing passenger fender?

You have to reset it. There's no guarantee that you'll go back on the same cam tooth.

Whats the ideal oil pump priming procedure? Should i prime the pump by pouring oil in those 2 holes you had pointed out on cover and then install cover? Will that masking tape hold the oil until i can rip it off and install the adapter and lines to the turbo saver. Ive always packed them with vaseline.

When I did mine, I packed the oil pump with petroleum jelly (Vasoline) when I put it back together. I then installed the front cover onto the engine. I then rented an oil pump priming tool from the local parts store (same as for a SBC) and put it through the can sensor hole. I turned it with a drill until I felt resistance, and then continued to turn it for a while just to be sure. Installed and set the cam sensor, and fired it up. Made sure the oil light went off as soon as the car fired.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

If you look in the larger of the two holes labelled 'prime here'.. just pour some oil in there and work the shaft back and forth (giggity). Odds are that step's unnecessary as my pumps are really tight, but it never hurts. After you get it on the engine, make sure to fill the oil filter as much as you can before spinning it one. And if you have open oil lines hooking up coolers and such it never hurts to pour some in there too.

You'll notice when you drop in the oil priming tool, the pump will catch it's breath and bog the drill down pretty quickly.

Oh yeah. Make sure there's oil in the pan too. Nothing like sucking up a big gulp of air and having to start over. :D

If you look in the larger of the two holes labelled 'prime here'.. just pour some oil in there and work the shaft back and forth (giggity). Odds are that step's unnecessary as my pumps are really tight, but it never hurts (giggity). After you get it on the engine, make sure to fill the oil filter as much as you can before spinning it one. And if you have open oil lines hooking up coolers and such it never hurts to pour some in there too.

You'll notice when you drop in the oil priming tool, the pump will catch it's breath and bog the drill down pretty quickly.

Oh yeah. Make sure there's oil in the pan too. Nothing like sucking up a big gulp of air and having to start over. :D

You forgot a (giggity)!! I put it in for you (giggity).

mgmshar said:
When I did mine, I packed the oil pump with petroleum jelly (Vasoline) when I put it back together. I then installed the front cover onto the engine. I then rented an oil pump priming tool from the local parts store (same as for a SBC) and put it through the can sensor hole. I turned it with a drill until I felt resistance, and then continued to turn it for a while just to be sure. Installed and set the cam sensor, and fired it up. Made sure the oil light went off as soon as the car fired.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

X2. Vasoline and put the tool on a drill til you get oil pressure