Timing Chain

Wicked WE4

I am going to be replacing the timing chain on the Buick and was wondering if there is a prefered brand of timing set and any tips to make this job easier. A I have also read in other posts that aftermarket timing sets do not require the
tensioner.

Factory replacement (non rollers) do need the tensioner, spring, etc. If you go with an aftermarket roller, DO NOT USE the tensioner, etc. If so, you will soon see parts of the tensioner setup in your pan and oil pickup.

My mechanic says an "87 Buick Regal" does not have a tensioner, he even looked it up in his alldata shop program and showed me the diagram for timing chain installation and no reference any tensioner is made, can someone explain more on this??? :confused:

My mechanic says an "87 Buick Regal" does not have a tensioner, he even looked it up in his alldata shop program and showed me the diagram for timing chain installation and no reference any tensioner is made, can someone explain more on this??? :confused:

make sure you/he are looking up 1987 Regal Vin Code #7
the OE timing chain uses a Tensioner BUT the after market ROLLER replacement DO NOT well most of the one that i have seen.

Time for a different mechanic. Or at least someone who knows how to look up the proper engine codes.

there is a tensioner on our motors. It should not be used if your using a double roller chain though.

Any tricks for the timing chain, TAKE ALL OF THE BOLTS OUT OF THE COVER! Guess why I said that, due to me missing a bolt ive been working on building a motor for the last year on and off. I cracked the cover and had to get a new one, then it lead to a huge snow ball.

Yes there is a tensioner! they are on any stock,or stock style timing chain set. it's just a spring loaded little foot on a pad that keeps tension on it