(Timing Chain Broke) ProGear double roller

Not a Cloyes? Seeing how I have a billet roller cam this chain and gear set is special and as far as I know only available from one place. The name on the chain links is Rolon. :cautious:

Rick

You’d best check your oil pan for the missing parts.

How much HP were you running?

D

Your broken chain is NOT the latest brand chain that Cloyes and others are now using?

Just because your piston will rotate when cranking does not assure that all the valves did not touch a piston? The best method to check is by a leak-down test. If a valve just lightly "kisses" a piston, the seal will be compromised, and I have been involved in over a dozen broken chains and all had slight, or major, valve damage.

If you have stock iron heads and valves, you may be lucky, I hope you will avoid having to pull the heads, but be sure first! :)

Nick, I'm with you on the leak down test. I will be very surprised if I didn't smack a valve but just a quick air up on the cylinders showed no signs of a problem. If I had a exhaust valve hanging open, the compressed air would for sure spin the turbo. I also can't see a cylinder holding any pressure at all with a bent valve. Maybe the valve reliefs in the pistons were just enough to clear. Give me a little hope now, come on..:D

Rick

How big is your cam (and your quench distance) Rick? Back when my engine was bone stock inside I lost the original chain at 147,000 and the replacement Cloyes let go at 24X,000. I could barely see witness marks on the pistons, but it kept on trucking.

I'm sure they're no way that would fly now with my 215/220 roller, decked block and .027" gaskets.

Earl, I m pretty sure I have a 210/210 cam. GN1 aluminum heads with the big valves and diamond pistons.

Not sure about the combustion chambers.

Have not messed with it since the other day. I will do a leak down test today.

Rick

Rick, sorry to hear this. I wasn't aware of this happening. Had I'd known I wouldnt have bothered you with my questions. Let me know if you need any help in the evenings.

No biggie Jason, You wanna play, your gonna pay. LOL! My Car has been pretty trouble free for a couple years. This ia a minor set back.

Tony, I'll see what the new chain says when it comes from Weber.

Rick

For the past 3 years the Rollmaster chain set sold by TA has included the IWIS chain which Cloyes also now uses.

Rick, if you do not receive the IWIS chain, they are available as a replacement chain only.

That is the only chain we use in performance builds and have sets and chains in stock.

I would be CAREFUL of the chain from TA Performance.
I have not had good luck with them.

That is why TA went to the IWIS chain, not the one Rollmaster normally supplies.

If you do a side-by-side comparison with the IWIS vs. the Rollmaster, Avon and other double roller chains, you will easily see the links are larger and thicker.

I have checked with Cloyes, Avon and others, and all have the same opinion, the IWIS chain is best available.

Cloyes tested my chain after 50 or more 9 sec. passes and found no stretch had occurred. :)

I take GN's very seriously as they are a major part of my life after my family, and I push my personal cars to the limit to find the best and most reliable parts and methods for my friend's and customer's cars as well. I deal with these cars almost every day, and broken timing chains were a major PIA, but not so much any more!

the Red and Gold Rollmaster/JP Performace chains have been IWIS for some time now. We have been using them for years. As it says on their website only the Blue series uses rolon. The rolon and the IWIS have a different chain pitch and the gears are not always interchangeable either
Mike

I broke a chain at the track this pass weekend. I shook the tire pretty hard and snap. I was using the progrear piece. Besides the chain, it got 1 intake valve on 5 and 1 exhaust valve on 3 and kissed 2 pistons. I will only from now on use rollmaster chains. Toughest piece oit there imo.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Attachments

• 1408389879733.jpg
    1408389879733.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 348
I broke a chain at the track this pass weekend. I shook the tire pretty hard and snap. I was using the progrear piece. Besides the chain, it got 1 intake valve on 5 and 1 exhaust valve on 3 and kissed 2 pistons. I will only from now on use rollmaster chains. Toughest piece oit there imo.

Looks like the same chain I broke. You have a billet roller cam too? Where you going to get a rollmaster? Only place selling timimg sets for the billet cams is Weber.

Rick

I get mine from kip at excessive acceleration. Yes it is a billet roller.

Looks like the same chain I broke. You have a billet roller cam too? Where you going to get a rollmaster? Only place selling timimg sets for the billet cams is Weber.
Rick

What you state Rick is true only if the cam billet gear has been machined for the Weber method of retention and the cam gear has to be machined to fit with cam sensor gear and spacer.

When using the Danny Bee and other method the standard dimension of the cam gear is used with no machining.

As I recall from when times we used the Weber set-up, the billet gears were from Rollmaster, so you may only need a replacement chain?

I have a Pro Gear billet timing set from when DLS built my motor. I am planning on changing it for preventive maintenance. Dan sent me a Comp Cams chain. How does this chain rank in the grand scheme of things. Its for a billet roller cam if it matters. I want the best chain available.