Double roller timing chain slack questions

leirch

I'm looking for opinions on current timing chain slack. I have a Progear double roller STD timing chain, it has who knows how many miles on it and the slack I noticed during a rebuild has bugged me so I decided to pull it apart since the snow started to fly.

First video is the old chain(doesn't have bolt in crank).

Second video is the new chain, which is a Pro gear double roller STD timing chain(didn't know what I had before ordering..).

Does the amount of slack look normal or should I send this back and try to get an IWIS chain set?

You need an undersized chain, I will posted up the specs for determining size tomorrow when in the shop.

That's really not all that bad.

The best thing you can do for longevity is do some type of oil mod to the front cover area. There are a few different ways this can be done. I drill a .020 hole in one of the oil gallery plugs. Others have strategically drilled the front cover on the oil port.

Thanks guys, I do have an oil squirter right above the cam gear, I ran the factory turbo oil feed line to it with copper line to oil the cam sensor gear/chain.

This is the exact reason why I stick with the stock chain, gears and tensioner.

Truthfully that doesn’t look bad . I’ve ran mine with sock like that . But if you are going to get a new one go roller master as stated Alil pricey but well worth the insurance plus as also stated they make gears Alil larger to tighten up the slack from getting a line bore . We can hook you up at Www.Boostedrps.com just give us a call

Last edited:
In my opinion, keep the gear, ditch the chain. Get a IWIS chain from TA Performance or Nick.

Slack doesn’t look bad to me. But here’s another guy to say ditch that Rolon chain and swap in an IWIS.

My stock set had about the same amount of play as your second video. My replacement double roller set (from a specific vendor) had as much play as your first video!!! I'm no expert, but I wasn't putting it back together with that amount of play. Well after a good hour long talk with Nick (Arizona GN), he gladly sent me a stock replacement that was a perfect fit...Mike

yeah BUT he doesn't run the typical setup Rick :)

Most of the guys on here are still stuck in the 11's :)

Roger that, It worked well until it just gave up one day. He was pulling into a parking lot and it died. So.... he wasn't pounding on it when it happened.

Roger that, It worked well until it just gave up one day. He was pulling into a parking lot and it died. So.... he wasn't pounding on it when it happened.

that's good to hear that it wasn't @5500 or more ..

stock timing set .. replace often .. but they work well to a point