Thrust Bearing (II)

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
I have this thread going in General Tech, too, but someone suggested I'd get more bang for my buck here, so here goes:

Not a lot of good news on the GN this week. Yesterday it was the new PT-51 rendered useless by the blown motor, now this.

Just got off the phone with the guy who has my engine. He said that while the #5 rod bearing was bad, the real problem is that the thrust bearing is bad and it took the crank with it. Now I don’t know exactly what the thrust bearing is or what it does (‘lil help?) but he told me it keeps the crank from moving back and forth and that the damage is likely caused by a bad torque converter (but not necessarily). He recommended getting the TC checked out. I’m not sure how to do that, but I’m not going back to Level10 with it.

I’ve had 3 transmissions and 4 converters in it in the past 12-18 months. I’m not sure which one could have caused the problem – the most recent is the Level10 trans and converter. It’s only been in the car for about 500 miles tops (probably less). How long would it take for a bad converter to take out a thrust bearing? It worked fine.

TIA,
Jim