Throttlebody shaft repair

stevemon said:
EGR test; Remove the vacuum line, push up the bottom of the EGR diaphragm (engine cold of course) and place your finger on the metal vacuum nipple. Let go of the diaphragm. It will drop down part way then stop. Take your finger off the nipple and it will drop farther if the diaphragm is good. That's how I've always tested dash pots and diaphragms.

On the 84-85 TB, they don't have shaft seals. Being pre-turbo the small amount of leak there wouldn't be a problem unless it got to the point where the motor was dying & not idling well. I haven't heard of that happening yet and I've sold well over 100 of these TBs.
Thanks,
Steve

Hey there Steve I did that egr test u just explained with car off not running (should it be running?) and it did exactly as u said dropped a tiny bit then dropped all the way wen removed my finger from the metal nipple ..... What I don't know is if it's normal for it to leak from the underside where the diaphragm is at when I perform the smoke test ? Ive been doing some research and I've been reading about others having this smoke testing leak coming out from the same area and they have been stating that no smoke should be coming out of the egr when under the smoke test that it's not normal so that's where I'm confused because it functions properly wen I do the egr test u mentioned above but it leaks smoke I would like to know if that's normal or not so I can leave it alone or replace it and continue looking for my vacuum leaks I don't want to replace it if its good but unfortunately I don't know

All the test showed is that the diaphragm is good for holding vacuum. Could the smoke be coming from the vacuum hose? How tight did it fit on the metal nipple? How much pressure is the smoke being applied under? Since the diaphragm is sealed to the vacuum source (proven with the test) I'd have to think it's the gasket at the base or through a loose fitting vacuum hose.

Double checked and it's not leaking from the hose nipple area or the base it's coming from the underside of the egr valve I'm using a 12V air compressor so it's set at 5 psi give or take

Well EGRs are easy to replace and not too much. Why the smoke test shows it bad and the diaphragm seems to hold vacuum is beyond my level of experience with such devices.

hello; You converted your ECM/chip to a newer model so what chip is in it? I know little about the 85 but I guess the ECM is differant than 86/87? And a 85 stock engine is not intercooled? I know that answer but do you have a HA engine and not a the other?
IBBY

jlat said:
hello; You converted your ECM/chip to a newer model so what chip is in it? I know little about the 85 but I guess the ECM is differant than 86/87? And a 85 stock engine is not intercooled? I know that answer but do you have a HA engine and not a the other?
IBBY

Yes I converted over a year ago to 86/87 ECM and chip I'm currently running a stock 87 chip ... It is different than an 85 ECM with the 87 I now have a scan master and dual fans setup hooked up to ECM .... I do run the original 85 hotair engine :)

hello; I see your from Cal. How's the car running? I guess not to good if your chasing things. I guess you have stock injectors, pump and fuel regulator? I had all that in a 86 and was satisfied (I guess) then I started sniffin the internet and found this place and everything changed. I forget how it ran then but it almost always runs good. It was said to me that the stock chip is not good with todays fuel as it has changed.
something to think about.
good luck with it
IBBY

jlat said:
hello; I see your from Cal. How's the car running? I guess not to good if your chasing things. I guess you have stock injectors, pump and fuel regulator? I had all that in a 86 and was satisfied (I guess) then I started sniffin the internet and found this place and everything changed. I forget how it ran then but it almost always runs good. It was said to me that the stock chip is not good with todays fuel as it has changed.
something to think about.
good luck with it
IBBY

Car runs fine but I know it can run stronger once I get all the bugs fixed up tuning is a process in the works , one thing at a time and right now it's chasing my vacuum leaks to get the right tune on my scan master

Liv4gnz did u get around to taking it apart and sealing it ? I just ordered my shaft seals from gbodyparts so ill be trying to change them out on my own when they arrive they say its easy to do I'm really hoping so lol has anyone done this before ? Any tips?