throttle position senaor

turboreese415

I just found our my throttle position sensor was bad could that cause an angine knock from the computer reading my throttle position wrong?

The throttle position sensor is a rheostat, the voltage drop/value taken from the "wiper" is used in conjunction w/other values, i.e. maf, etc, to calibrate inj. pulse. The wiper arm the tps, due to wear, heat, etc, lose tension or even burn over time/use, causing a change in value. You can check the tps w/an ohm meter. Just remember to move the wiper slowly, or you can skip over bad spot easily. You will see a sudden change in value instead of a smooth transition from 0 to whatever the max value is.
Yes I had to replace mine on the 86gn back in 1991.
Are you chasing a knock problem or throttling?

Well a knock and throttle but I noticed when it started knocking only when the car is warm and driven the rpm gauge would o up and drop when on the freeway also it was around the time my cats went bad I cutt off and replaced with pipe now when u say wiper value your talking about the metal throttle lever next to it right

Could it be that I have no cats like I said it only does it when car is warm and driven or is it tps what you think I was getting service soon light on and off when the rpms started malfunctioning and it gave me a tps code?

List your mod's, it will help in the diagnosis. Your maf could be going bad and it too can cause havoc w/your performance.
I'm sorry, the wiper I was referring to is the arm on the tps that sweeps across the coiled wire that make up the tps and gives the voltage drop needed by the ecm.
As far as the cat's are concerned, it should not have an effect except to reduce back pressure. I've always removed them or used a hi-performance one in it's place. Depending on whether or not you have emissions in the state.
Rpm changes while driving on the highway can be due to trans/converter problems, also.:eek: