Three things to do.. before you die...

ozpont

... ummm... tough heading.. I don't do public trips anymore .. but in thinking and passing on some of the best things...... here's three things recommendable to anybody who can take time out & organise it for themselves..... others will have fond memories.. as do of many places now.... another for me (not being American I can do it) is in the near future WILL BE Cuba - before Castro dies & the first world moves back in ......... but in the meantime.... there's the three things.. three must do things.... for a encompassing trip in the USA, while we can..... that will leave you thinking and smiling.. for life.......

(1) Fly or just get to & start at Detroit in the 2nd week of August... familiarise yourself with the culture, museums, & history....
....get a car - I brought and took me TTA this route a few years back.. one way to LA via Route 66..
.....and just cruise and stop and see
..... and breath and ...love it every day...
Kick off your cruise.. after the big one.. which starts off towards the end of the 2nd week.. and fills the "nothing is bigger then this.." Woodward Ave Dream Cruise....all day on the Saturday.. 16 miles.. 10's of thousands of collector cars... in the city that has been for over 100 years.... and possibly still is the automotive heartland of the Industrialised World.... It's the most amazing jumble of cars you'll ever see.... live....!
The Woodward Dream Cruise | Classic Cars, Hot Rods, Muscle Cars, Custom Vehicles, and the Nostalgia of Fifties and Sixties!

sked.jpg

(2) When you get to the other end of Route 66.. your going to be at Santa Monica Pier .. in upper LA California..... on the beach...... walk in the sand barefoot..... your getting there... now get back out onto the 101 and head north about 45 minutes to the 126 and head East... to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library...
There you may be.. like pretty much everybody I have known who went there or who observed this living museum of not just "a Man"..but a time and a direction SO DESIRABLE.. SO full of hope.. that if that does not leave you inspired.. then.. nothing will....
... then.. the fact that the Airforce One of 6 Presidents is now entombed in a gazebo like structure at the north eastern side of the Library.. known as the "Air Force One Pavilion" .. the actual plane had been donated by the US Airforce.... flow into LA, partly restored by Boeing, dismantled and piece by piece brought up, elevated and now stands in an awe inspiring view over the Semi Valley..... over land now donated by owners never to be built out...
It was noted while being erected looking out over the valley....the Jet, a symbol of Freedom.. could forever more be pointing over a clear sky .....
Ronald W. Reagan Presidential Library & Museum Bookstore
YouTube - Air Force One at Ronald Reagan Library
02_ronald_reagan_library_front_pano.jpg

(3).. finish the day.. before going home..... by going to .. and treat yourself.. to a Hollywood restaurant like not many others.. one that dines people of all nationalities from all walks of life.......... Yes it costs a bit.. probably infact about US$90 each for an average meal... but service.. the food, the decor, the entry, the professionalism, you see standards of service so missing in mainstream life... .. and your time there.. you may never forget.
img_tpr_bv_2.jpg

Laury's
2980 Los Feliz Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90039
(323) 664-0228
:: Lawry's Restaurant ::

.. after that.. your back to reality... and back to life as we know it...

.. just do it....

Didn't have a TTA then, but

When I retired a few years back, we drove a 32' motorhome out West. We drove North out of LA, and pulled right out on the beach to fix a gormet lunch and watch the whales....One of those good memories :)

Dream Cruise

Hi Oz,
I have been blessed by having the opportunity to attend the Woodward Ave.Dream Cruise each year since 1999! It is truly a great party. If you like muscle, there is not a better place to experience it. And not just muscle;all kinds of automobilia turn up. The manufacturers have a strong presence, too. Back in 2001, we were treated to a GM showcar exhibit which included the famous Harley Earl designed LeSabre and Larry Shinoda's !963 Corvette concept.
I don't get out much anymore during the cruise;it's too hard to walk around, with all the humanity. Instead, I wake up early, get a great spot by Woodward and 13 mile roads, and watch the stuff go by.It is an experience not soon forgotten. One year, a contingent of Australians were there. I really liked the Holdens and Aussie Fords they brought!
Two things you should do also while in Detroit; Visit the Henry Ford, a museum and open air showcase of American history, and take the plant tour of the Rouge.
Detroit is a pretty cool town,and you can carry on to see the other things on your list, from there. One thing is certain: in 2008 you will find me at the SW corner of Woodward and 13 mile road, enjoying the passing hotrods!
See Ya there, I hope.
Dale

back to Woodward...

.. Dale.. thats alot of visits your done to Woodward... :cool:

Personally.. I brought in 56 Aussies in 99, yer it got alot of coverage on channel 7 with the like.., claimed to be the first big international group to visit for WDC .....& helped the Tourism people justify they should also be proud.... GM / Pontiac provided me with a '99 Anniv convertible to cruise in for the day and as they had over decade before several times.. and this is when Pontiac was PONTIAC and not what appears now to be more of a side show... the corporate side of PMD always went out of there way - they had been GREAT SUPPORTS OF SUPPORTERS OF PONTIAC.. . "Heritage matters" might have been there daily moto....
..... but regards visiting Detroit.. my first trip was in '77 as a junior manager in the Public Affairs Dept of the Ford Motor co, took in the Rouge plant tour then and the HFM.. and Greenfield village.. Yes it has changed alot.. mostly for the better... back then the streets three blocks from down town where horrid... Still.. 11 years after...

.. A few years back I copped cancer in the spine.. and boy does life flash differently in the light of a second chance... Started not working SO much ALL the time.. and do take trips about every 3 months now.. work related or not...
I did Vietnam first in search of older US & Australian things.... like buildings, cars, bases, armed forces equipment etc.. interesting beyond expectations...
The next year.. found my TTA in the NYC area.. so flew and with my son, loved it.. and rather then give it to the redneck truckers.. took it for a final drive across the county via INDY.. & route 66 to LA. WHAT A DRIVE.. .:p

Been back to Vietnam & Cambodia, China, Tawain since any number of times...
Last year I quietly flew into Detroit to see some people specifically for the timing of Woodward and was NOT disappointed.... but also filled a long time urge to look around the town alot more.. DETROIT IS SO FULL OF AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY . .MOTOWN.. THE BEST OF IT.. and more..
Detroit to me is better for a week then Orlando for a month...

In looking around the town.. I had the time to cruise Detroit with alot of historical venue information studied up before hand..... the old Fisher Building, GM Building, Highland Park Ford Plant.. now with a methodone clinic attached but not much more..
But thats another story to... capture alot of before and after shots standing in the same positions as photographers did 80 & 50 years back etc...... published some of it in various magazines & it created alot of interest... shared the time... which is something many can appreciate.

.. I really enjoy the place (Detroit) .. its people I have no quarrell with & have never had a cross word.. SOME PLACES I would not bother to go in.. but the majority are fine...
This year's event.. I flew in for 4 days and back to Oz again..mainly hung around 14-13th .... then around the Irish pub up to the Chrysler display..
Only spotted on 89 TTA there.. that was heading towards Burmingham around 7pm around 14th.
Next year will be the same probably.. but if you up to it.. I'll sit in with you awhile... and have a beer..