Thought I had seen it all....smoke out the defrost vents

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
Got a all original GN here that hasn't been on the road since 1993. Everything is still factory as best as I can tell. I have changed the fluids and attempted first start up. Got the car running without much effort. It smokes out the defrost vents. I have never seen this. I thought it was on fire at first. When I shut the motor down the smoke stops. Anyone have any ideas?? I also notice the nice rat urine smell. Guess the dash will need to come out though if it was a wiring issue I think it would have already burned to the ground. I have worked one many many of these and thought I had seen every issue possible.

It sounds like coolant from the Heater core.
Rat urine? Coolant?
There isn't a whole of lot going inside that HVAC air box.
I'd start with pulling the intake screen on the top of the cowl and see what's in there.
Quick check on the heater or coolant is to discennect and plug the two rubber hoses feeding it.

Heisenberg thats a good idea. The car has sat so long that mice took up residence. Carpet is mint but has to go because of the terrible odor. It is so sad to see good original cars sit and ruin from no use.

I've seen the same thing your talking about, not on a GN though. It was the dryer. Is it doing it with the fan motor off/on, or does it make a difference?

Not sure on the blower motor running. I did see some fog forming on the window. Didn't let it run long.

Once mice make a mouse-house in there,the damage is irreversible unless every trace of them is removed and cleaned. Sometimes if you catch them early,you're ok. If they have peed,gave birth,etc in there,you're gonna find things. Hopefully not seat foam.

I'd start by taking the heater motor out. Easy to do.. The screen,too,like H-berg said.

I'd have to say the carpet can be saved by taking it out and cleaning it with Oxy Clean or good shampoo.

Hahaha Dan. I'd go with leaking heater core also. I would remove the carpet from the car and pressure wash it in the driveway with alot of soapy water (liquid Tide poured over it). Then let it air dry for a week. It might be saved. I saved a carpet from a truck that was owned by a fish market and man they never wiped their feet ever before getting in.

Heater core.

If there was no fluid in it over the years, or for any extended time period, they disintegrate and dry rot.

Adding water to it finds the holes real quickly, and voila instant fog machine.

When you get a bunch of smoke pouring out the door panel it's the power window switch or motor on fire doing a slow burn. :eek:

PS: You can't turn the blower motor OFF with the vents on. ;)

Only way to kill power to the blower is by having the selector to the OFF position which won't tell you much.

You could put the vents on and go unplug the connector to the motor

i bought a car last year that had been sitting under a tree since 95. first cold day in fall i went to DD to grab a coffee. cranked the heat, left the car running, came back out to smoke and embers POURING out of the vents. come to find out the mice or whatever had made quite a nice hotel in the heater core and every square inch of the vents.:)

Fog on windshield=coolant leak. Bypass the heater core to check.

Try cleaning the carpet with a solution of ODOBAN ( available at Home Depot). Had a house fire. Washed clothes with this, closthes came out smelling very nice. Or you can find a dealer that has an ozone machine, this should also remove the odor. You can google ozone machine and see what it does. Good luck