those with S10 steering

3.8Illusion

boost junkie
whats the best way to have the steering wheel aligned properly. i just had my car aligned and the steerign wheel is about 90 derg. off. can I take off the pitman arm and go that route. or should i go back to the junk yard and get a s10 steering shaft (bolts from st coulmn and slide into other side.
Thanks Steve

They should have centered it during the aligment with the toe adjustments. Is it out of range?

Originally posted by 3.8Illusion
whats the best way to have the steering wheel aligned properly. i just had my car aligned and the steerign wheel is about 90 derg. off. can I take off the pitman arm and go that route. or should i go back to the junk yard and get a s10 steering shaft (bolts from st coulmn and slide into other side.
Thanks Steve

Find another alignment shop.

You should get similiar measurements when the steering wheel is straight ahead and measure from opposite corners of the cross link, and pitman arm, idler arm. It makes a large parallelogram.
If it is you have the right pieces.

Again find another alignment shop. They should have done that and caught any problems before turning you loose, and perferably before ALIGNING the car.

Did I mention find another alignment shop?.
Something that important you want right.

Best of luck finding an alignment shop where they understand alignments.

they said if they centered it with the sw it would turn more one way than the other way. he said they align it with the centerlink in the center (thus you get the same turning radius ffrom each side. almost forgot i have lowering springs and they put a butt load of shims for the upper control arms. looks like a half a$$ job. and i was told this is the most reputable alignment shop around.

Sounds like you have other problems or the alignment shop got lazy and now they are just blowing smoke up....well, you get the idea.

It's not unusual to have shims on the upper control arms...even quite a few. GMs tolerances were rather large in the age of our cars.

Take it some where else (even a body shop...they are very familiar with front end damage) If they charge 29.95 for an alignment DON"T go there.

With alignments, you get what you pay for.

Originally posted by 3.8Illusion
they said if they centered it with the sw it would turn more one way than the other way. he said they align it with the centerlink in the center (thus you get the same turning radius ffrom each side. almost forgot i have lowering springs and they put a butt load of shims for the upper control arms. looks like a half a$$ job. and i was told this is the most reputable alignment shop around.

Measure from the center of the pitman arm to the pivot of the idler arm. Then from the crosslink end of the idler arm to where the pitman arm attaches to the cross link.

Yes, the pararrelogram thing.
If it's more then about an 1/16" off then something is actually wrong, part wise, or a bent frame rail.

Did you make sure the steering box was centered when you hooked the rag coupling up?.

When having to use alot of shims, some shops take the time to install washers, so as to min the risk of the shims working loose and falling out.

May have to travel further to find a good alignment shop.

Have I mentioned finding someplace else?.

90 deg off-

If you're exactly 90 deg off and you can verify the center link is in the center, couldn't you pull the steering wheel and reinstall on the shaft 90 deg away?

nuther idea

If the truck you got the box off of was wrecked, it's possible the steer shaft in the box is twisted.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I didn't think you could put a steering wheel on in a different position because the one on my truck has a notch in it. But the wheel I got from the bone yard off of a riviera that is just like my GN's wheel has a splind with no notch to position it, so it looks like you can take it off and turn it a little to make it straight. And you don't need a puller to get the wheel off. Just remove the horn ring and the safety clip and unscrew the nut to the end of the threads, then grab the wheel with your left hand and pull it towards you and smack the nut with a hammer a couple times and the wheel will come loose.
Tarey D.