Those with 4" MAF pipes:

1000NATIONAL

Buick Diecast Nut
What is required to clear the 4" MAF pipe with a 3" up-pipe?
I've got a PTE super stock IC and an RJC 4" MAF pipe...the up-pipe
is mashing the silicone coupling down about a quarter inch already...
Any tips, hints, or tricks?

Thanks all,
Steve

I had to get a plenum spacer because I was running a stock plenum and intake. When I contacted Jason Cramer and he said a PTE Plenum will clear the 4" inch MAF pipe with no spacer. I also used a Angle Boss for the IAC to make everything clear. It turns the IAC 45 degrees.

I have a champion intake, no spacer, and it fits....barely. I was also able to get by without the IAC angle adapter...again...really really tight.

Yeah, I've got the angled boss for the IAC....
Guess I have to get a plenum...any links or great vendors to buy from?
Thanks for all the help,
Steve

What is required to clear the 4" MAF pipe with a 3" up-pipe?
I've got a PTE super stock IC and an RJC 4" MAF pipe...the up-pipe is mashing the silicone coupling down about a quarter inch already...
Any tips, hints, or tricks?

Thanks all,
Steve

I’m running a FTS 4” MAF pipe, PT-67 with a 4” inlet, a 3” up-pipe and a KB 3” TB. It’s tight but it all fits. Make sure the turbo flange is orientated the same as the OEM header.

I have the same issue. I just ordered the PTE plenum/Power Plate combo from RJC. But I like Grumpy's idea. :p

Hey Grumpy,

Longer hose on which end of the up-pipe?
Right now the lower end is just about touching the IC outlet....
Are you saying cut off some of the TB side of the up-pipe and use a
longer coupling to allow it to mash some?
Thanks for clearing this up........

I also heard from PTE that their plenums only raise it a "hair"...

Crunch time is coming...I'm sure others have had or will have this
same issue...please keep ideas and real world testing coming....

Thanks to all so far,
Steve

I had the same issues with a TTA. I used a longer up pipe hose, too. I had also made the up pipe and had to modify the 4" MAF pipe to fit the TTA. Here's pic's:

Attachments

• Copy of 07-11-08 031.jpg
    Copy of 07-11-08 031.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 225
  • Copy of 07-11-08 045.jpg
    Copy of 07-11-08 045.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 230
Here is a spacer that Postons sells Welcome to Poston Enterprises ! . I lucked out because Brian Weaver's old shop was 15 minutes from my old house. He had a old Eastern wooden spacer up there. I had to take it to work and but on the Bridgeport and open it up some. How soon do you need one? I finally broke down and bought a PTE Plenum that will be going on soon. It will be off in a week or two.

Trying to get my car back on the road asap....
Guess I'll wait on a spacer...
Got some offers...waiting to hear about specifics.
Thanks for the info.....keep it coming ...and the offers too...

Steve

angle cut hose

Trying to get my car back on the road asap....
Guess I'll wait on a spacer...
Got some offers...waiting to hear about specifics.
Thanks for the info.....keep it coming ...and the offers too...

Steve
No spacer needed--just a little "shop-rework" and NO MONEY to buy a spacer!!! :biggrin:
Angle cut the IC hose to the TB(about 15 degs.---the end that goes on the TB) this way it will angle the end of the hose about 1/2 to 3/4" higher, then length the bottom hose on IC about 1 1/2".
Fixed our problem(before we went back to a 3.5 MAF and 3.5Pipe) and solved our idle problem.

Hey agteacher.....

Great idea. I'll try that while waiting on my phenolic spacer to get here.

Thanks for all the tips....would have loved to get a new polished PTE plenum and 70mm TB...just not in the budget right now.

Thanks all,
Steve