This place not what it used to be or maybe it the poeple ??

gn4u2c

Yes Its fast no you can't
Whats up guys ... I am enjoyed owning an modding several turbo cars ( 3 gn's 3 t's 1 tta 1 sy) and this used to be allot of fun. Meeting people, hanging out, doing weekend street racing/ strip trips, phone calls and such to BS about the cars. If you had something to say you said it. Everyone pulled together. Lately it seems more like ever one looking out for #1, bitching and moaning about the smallest of things. I bought a xyz that was suppose to be mint and it got a scratch in it. Now f-the guy I got it from, f-ups, f-this car,
The cops are more proactive breaking up the street scene its tuff just to hang out not even race without catching crap. It seems people just have gotten edgier here. I mean we used to get together and 3-4 people would help another guy get his car done so he could race it. Now this is the crap that got me thinking .....
I go to help a friend ,By friend I mean a guy I meet at a car meet about 3 yrs ago and talked to once in awhile and another guy was suppose to show also. The idea was to drink a few beers shoot the breeze and install his control arms, weld in the lower braces, install the air bags. pretty easy stuff . I get there we have a drink and get the car up on stands. Jeff gets a phone call then 2 min later hes off the phone and comes out and tells me that Steve called and said hes not coming (Steve is a full time welder) and was suppose to weld the braces very easy job. I say "whats up wife would not let him out lol?" nope .Turns out he called to say he decided he cannot do it for free he would need $100.00 to cover his time. ( this is on a f-ing Sunday) so Jeff told him he does not have the cash right now and Steve tells him to call him when hes got and and he will come do it .... wow WTF... he already agreed to do it as a friend. So we get the air bags in and drive the car over to my house and I welded them in for the guy we installed the control arms and we were done. All and all a very easy job that could have been done in 1/2 the time if we did not have to drive back to my place and put it on stands again.. I know the world is f-ed up but common people this is suppose to be fun and it just does not seem like fun anymore... I recently bought a new car and went to a few meets and WOW !! the people are friendly and we all set up a auto-cross day and lots of fun stuff maybe cause its a younger crowd.... Just seems like a bunch old grumpy guess people here. (not all of you)

This thread is not for people to start bashing anyone !! Just post your opinions of this hobbie and what you see.

LOL...Guess I expected this to be never ending good times. Maybe the ecomony has people on edge..

There are still some good people out there. I met some people from this site I’ve got together with a couple of times. One guy put braces on my car free of charge. I gave him an extra torque converter I had free charge. Another member brought a set of slicks for me to use at the track free of charge. There are plenty of good people out there. Unfortunately there are a few of the others as well. The rewards of giving are much greater than receiving. You are a good guy for what you did.

Well all i can tell you, here in the chicagoland area we pretty much have great guys that are willing to help one out any time.

i can go down the list of guys like
Fatride
wickedv6
turboBuRick
Jasjamz AND MANY MANY MANY MORE GUYS:biggrin:That are up to the task:biggrin:with open arms

Well all i can tell you, here in the chicagoland area we pretty much have great guys that are willing to help one out any time.

i can go down the list of guys like
Fatride
wickedv6
turboBuRick
Jasjamz AND MANY MANY MANY MORE GUYS:biggrin:That are up to the task:biggrin:with open arms

don't forget me!;)

Whats up guys ... I am enjoyed owning an modding several turbo cars ( 3 gn's 3 t's 1 tta 1 sy) and this used to be allot of fun. Meeting people, hanging out, doing weekend street racing/ strip trips, phone calls and such to BS about the cars. If you had something to say you said it. Everyone pulled together. Lately it seems more like ever one looking out for #1, bitching and moaning about the smallest of things. I bought a xyz that was suppose to be mint and it got a scratch in it. Now f-the guy I got it from, f-ups, f-this car,
The cops are more proactive breaking up the street scene its tuff just to hang out not even race without catching crap. It seems people just have gotten edgier here. I mean we used to get together and 3-4 people would help another guy get his car done so he could race it. Now this is the crap that got me thinking .....
I go to help a friend ,By friend I mean a guy I meet at a car meet about 3 yrs ago and talked to once in awhile and another guy was suppose to show also. The idea was to drink a few beers shoot the breeze and install his control arms, weld in the lower braces, install the air bags. pretty easy stuff . I get there we have a drink and get the car up on stands. Jeff gets a phone call then 2 min later hes off the phone and comes out and tells me that Steve called and said hes not coming (Steve is a full time welder) and was suppose to weld the braces very easy job. I say "whats up wife would not let him out lol?" nope .Turns out he called to say he decided he cannot do it for free he would need $100.00 to cover his time. ( this is on a f-ing Sunday) so Jeff told him he does not have the cash right now and Steve tells him to call him when hes got and and he will come do it .... wow WTF... he already agreed to do it as a friend. So we get the air bags in and drive the car over to my house and I welded them in for the guy we installed the control arms and we were done. All and all a very easy job that could have been done in 1/2 the time if we did not have to drive back to my place and put it on stands again.. I know the world is f-ed up but common people this is suppose to be fun and it just does not seem like fun anymore... I recently bought a new car and went to a few meets and WOW !! the people are friendly and we all set up a auto-cross day and lots of fun stuff maybe cause its a younger crowd.... Just seems like a bunch old grumpy guess people here. (not all of you)

This thread is not for people to start bashing anyone !! Just post your opinions of this hobbie and what you see.

I just read your statement again,i would have to agree with you on this.But i would have to say a true buick guy would due as much as possible to help one an other out.thats wye my statement about the guys up here in the chicagoland area is great.Any time i have a problem or ? i get about a dozen or so feedbacks that they are willing to come to my house or i can drive to theirs for help.
This is what the buick club is all about.not to making profit out of one.
And yes it also depend on the project

The whole deal with fellow Buick enthusiasts not acting like.......well like friends is not cool. I have only a couple of TR's in my area, besides mine. Seems like I'm doing all the giving??? Whatever happened to I'll scratch your back etc... These guys only call or come around if the need something? Could it be my less than sterling personality, or do I just need a Tic Tac??? Well dammit, I tried the Tic Tac's. :smile:

The hobby is not the same you say.....

As things like this age so does the attitude of those involved. The biggest problem is when people turn it into a business. They forget the ones who drove 800 miles to bring them stuff for cheap as well as not charging them for gas. Years go by they have an opportunity to return the favor and turn their back on you because it has all turned into a business for them. The other problem is when people get big they forget where they came from. They only speak to the ones who are high profile in the community because they are cashing big checks from those previously mentioned individuals. They get amnesia and forget the low budget guy and push him under the rug. Eventually this leads to less and less people involved and what do you end up with? A few guys in a corn field racing a 22 year old car nut hugging each other to death. People only see the $ involved. They don't see the substance. They turn their back on what is right so that they don't step on toes within their inner circle. They wear blinders and turn the other cheek. All because of the mighty dollar bill. It happens in all car communities. This one is not special. When guys knowingly sell junk to friends leaving them broke and stranded and turn the other cheek that shows you what they are about. Themselves.

Any consolation Jason I miss hanging out with you swapping parts & never really keeping track. Throwing a few beers back & BSing.

It is definently not like it use to be.

When we bought the new 06 GTO from you it was like buying it from a friend not a car dealership.Didn't ask price didn't have to. We new you were going to make what you had to & not have to worry about getting hosed. Well we are friends & that is what friends do.

But that was 07 this is 09. What have you done for me lately attitude!!! LOL.:D
Sounds like your friend the welder.;)

i know where you're coming from man... i have been gone for awhile and i came back and things have changed a LOT.

with that said i also do business on the side, co-workers need something done on their car and i tell them i will do it for fair price that covers my time and will save them tons of dough.

thats my co-workers though... acquaintences.. etc.

if your "friend" said he was going to come by and help out, spend 20 minues doing something he does for a living and then backed out and decided it was now worth $100, that to me is ****ed up.

if we discuss price for my service then there is going to be a fair charge (well below what anyone else would charge) but if price does not come up and i say i'll help you do something, then its settled. going back on your word is a pretty big character flaw.

chalk this one up as a loss and keep it in mind next time "steve" wants help from you.

yeah sometimes people just burn me up with that kind of crap.. If you said upfront I need to get paid it would not be as bad as backing out the day of Hell !! 15 min later than you said you would be there.

Brian I defiantly have to get down there for a weekend !! I am really upset I have not had time.. I guess its keep making excuses or just get my ass down there. Hell I bought 2 cases of corona (on sale) to bring with.;) I just need to take a sat off work and make my wife deal with the baby for 1 weekend on her own. Yeah I also miss the hey I have this crap I'm not using trade ya for that and its done... Yes I bought a GTO :biggrin:

I think you know Jeff Brain he got some old parts from you years ago down at rosebank ave.

Wait till spring...
T1tties flopping, race gas in the air.
Everybodys happy.

Winter time post-Christmas blues. Happens every year on the net. :)

Wait till spring...
T1tties flopping, race gas in the air.
Everybodys happy.

Winter time, post-Christmas blues. Happens every year on the net. :)

(WHAT"s THE DEAL WITH THE SLOOOW SERVER???)

I'm thinking it has a lot to do with just getting older.

"Back in the day", the guys would come over and we'd have a "trans change party" and stuff like that. About 5 guys hanging out, 1-3 of them actually working on tha car, while the others drank and entertained, LOL! It wasn't like work, or even any sort of imposition. Just an excuse to get together, hang out, BS, and turn some wrenches together.

I still try to do that. But age, time, stress, work, money....WIFE......not so easy any more. I'll give a shout out to my boy mcasteel2112 for helping to keep the dream alive. ;) Ahhh...I miss the young, simple life......

Probly an age thing. I've noticed too that over the long years the only guy I've stayed hangin with and tradin w/o trackin is the guy who introduced me to this place. The same guy I cut my TR up for parts for. Try finding some younger friends. I freaked a kid who helps me from time-to-time out last month by actually having and giving him a 72 Nova radiator. Somebody my age would hafta pay retail, or be as willing to break plans to lend a hand. Not too likely...

As I have gotten older I have noticed the trend as well. :frown: I really can only speak for myself though. In my earlier years I was the guy my friends came to for help with their cars. No fancy cars, just contraptions we could afford. I could fix them enough to keep them on the road. They had to buy the parts and my only compensation was maybe a few beers and some pizza, which I never asked for but appreciated.

Fast forward to now. I will still do the same for close friends. However, I have become "that guy" again but to quite a few people at the local bars I frequent. Sometimes I never know these folk's name until they come and ask me something about their car. I give out advice free, that is just me babbling over a beer. No biggie. When they ask me if I can fix it I have to make a choice, do I want to, how is the weather this weekend, is it going to interfere with me going golfing, etc....

If I do decide to take it on I will charge them. Most of these folks are waitstaff so I know what kind of income they are working with. I used to do that years ago. I will charge a fair amount, a hell-of-a lot cheaper than going to a shop.

Still, close friends, no charge. They have and will do something for me.

That said, if someone shows up with a TR, I'm going to dive right in!!! Maybe even throw a part or two their way (have lots, never have thrown any of it away nor have I ever sold a Buick part). I still LOVE these cars!!!!!!!!!!! :D