This false knock is just killing me.

TType84

cookin with propane
Yes... I have a casper's knock gauge. Yes... I know people call them "problematic" or just a "light show"...

but this thing IS getting a signal from somewhere and there has to be a reason behind it.

cruising on the highway, once the car is warmed up, at a steady speed... it will slowly climb up to red, reset, and repeat. over and over.

nothing is audible.

most of the time the gauge is silent @ WOT, its just this steady speed cruising that is the issue :mad:

i have gone through two wiring harnesses thinking maybe it was just a wiring issue. nope!

dont know what the hell is going on.... so frustrating. this is the one thing i have not been able to figure out on this car since 1998.

maybe the gauge is bad? maybe my knock sensor is in too tight? i have tried a few, identical results.. used the correct tq procedure and teflon paste...

2 long blocks, 2 wiring harnesses, 2 transmissions, 2 converters, 2 turbos, 2 sets of injectors

this **** wont go away.

:(

..... cruising on the highway, once the car is warmed up, at a steady speed... it will slowly climb up to red, reset, and repeat. over and over.

nothing is audible.

most of the time the gauge is silent @ WOT, its just this steady speed cruising that is the issue :mad: ..........

Does the chip have lean cruise?

i'd have to ask jay carter about that but this has happened with 2 of his chips and a red armstrong chip someone gave me as well. all were low timing street chips for bluetops.

What kind of mileage are you getting?
car has never gotten good gas mileage, like 16mpg usually. though i dont really drive it gingerly :eek:

not to mention it has a big stall and the trans doesnt lockup on the highway right now because the speedo cable snapped and i have no VSS signal telling the ECM its OK to lock the trans.

I have chased alot of Caspers issues. My first question is do you have a Scanmaster or Turbolink? The Casper knock gauge measures the knock sensor signal to the ECM. The Scanmaster or Turbolink measures the ECM response to the knock signal. This is the true reading. So what does the scan tools say? Brad

Knocking at 70 mph crusing

I had a very similar issue with my car. What had happened was I converted to the 86/87 ignition. Those ignitions require more voltage than our original ignitions. I called Jay Carter at Caspers and spoke to him about how to supply more voltage to the ignition and he sold me a hot wire setup for the ignition. It consisted of a relay that hooks from the battery positive terminal to the ignition and a relay is activated when the ignition is on.

I told Jay that I bought their 84/85 to 86/87 ignition conversion harness and they should have sold the hot wire kit with the harness setup. He agreed, but they haven't done it.

I have chased alot of Caspers issues. My first question is do you have a Scanmaster or Turbolink? The Casper knock gauge measures the knock sensor signal to the ECM. The Scanmaster or Turbolink measures the ECM response to the knock signal. This is the true reading. So what does the scan tools say? Brad

used to have t-link until the car was stolen way back when and they stole my data cable. :mad:

and then my cousin stepped on my laptop screen and broke it. :mad:

I had a very similar issue with my car. What had happened was I converted to the 86/87 ignition. Those ignitions require more voltage than our original ignitions. I called Jay Carter at Caspers and spoke to him about how to supply more voltage to the ignition and he sold me a hot wire setup for the ignition. It consisted of a relay that hooks from the battery positive terminal to the ignition and a relay is activated when the ignition is on.

I told Jay that I bought their 84/85 to 86/87 ignition conversion harness and they should have sold the hot wire kit with the harness setup. He agreed, but they haven't done it.
i have that adapter as well, and one voltage pin broke so i had to rig it :hsugh:

in any case, yeah... good idea. i need to talk to caspers about some o2 sims anyway...

thanks for the heads up.

What's the torque spec?
I'm picking up a few lights I can't get rid of since I put the engine back in.
I may have over tightened the Knock gauge

Dont mean to get off the subject here, but I guess I should also buy a hot wire setup since I've converted my ignition module and coil to the 86/87? Has most everybody else that has converted also added the ignition hot wire kit? Once again, sorry for getting off subject.

Ignition Hotwire

Before I hotwired the ignition, my car was running fine but would knock on the highway at about 65 to 70 MPH like Ttype84 described. I read a post were someone hotwired their ignition and thought to myself "What the Heck, it can't hurt". So I ordered and installed it and the knock went away. The Casper guys can describe how it helps better than I can, but what I remember from the conversation was that the 86/87 module needs more voltage that the stock 84/85 harness provides.

So the knock guage is monitoring the signal sent from the ESC to the ECM ?.

I believe the knock system works this way, please correct me if I am wrong.
The knock sensor sends it's signal to the ESC module. The ESC then determines the severity and duration of the knock signal and if spark retard is necessary. The ESC will then send a signal to the ECM which will then retard the timing.

Although I do not have a knock gauge I have been catching retard occuring without the ESC counts changing at all with Turbo Link. This was happening while driving normally too. I was talking to Pacecarta about this and he told me my ESC (knock) module is going bad. Sounds like you may be getting the same thing. He also told me that 84-86 all used the same knock module, but they changed it in 87. They went to one that is less sensitive to cut down on spark retard to make the car run faster. The 84-86 ESC module is still available from AC Delco p/n 216-33 and was only used on TR's. I have not had a chance to buy one yet to see if the problem goes away. I could not find the p/n for the 87 ESC.

Pink wire

Went on caspers site and it shows the hot wire harness but it is not under the 84-85 GN it shows it is for the 86-87
I upgraded my ignition to the86-87 system and got the adapter from caspers
and it doesnt have a hot wire hook up on it and from what i am reading it should because the 84-85 ignitions were lower voltage than the 86-87
maybe this is one of my KNOCK problems as well.

Mike, That's what I was running into with Caspers. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have bought the "86-89 CCCI Hotwire Kit" and just switched the wires myself and created a "84/85 CCCI Hotwire Kit". The 86-89 kit has everything to change from the 84/85 ignition module to the 86/87 plus it has the hotwire kit. That was my basic complaint with Caspers is that they should have done that basic hotwire kit with the 84/85 to 86/87 harness.

Thanks Jerryl. I'm not going to bother splicing in the bigger guage. I'll just buy the relay and wiring from caspers.