Thinking of replacing front dash speakers...

johnnyttype

hey guys, im looking to upgrade the front dash speakers (3.5" i think, right?) in my car soon. Looking for advice on a good sounding speaker to replace the pitiful stockers!

Here's info i would think is important after reading the sticky of this section:
-I listen to rock/metal
-Not looking to turn heads, just make music in my car more bearable:p
-Budget...dont want to spend a fortune but for what im looking for, i dont think there will be money issues
-Current Head unit is kenwood kdc319 i believe, 50wx4 total and 22wx4 RMS, it was free and my old stocker refused to play out of the right speakers!

I will probably be looking at replacing the rears too, so if there is a good combo of fronts and rears that sound good together, feel free to chime in:)

thanks
john

I think mine are Bostons they fit in the top sound good I picked them up 5 years ago don't remember the price $30 to $50.

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm looking to replace my fronts as well. Though money isn't an object with my speakers. I don't care for loud music at all, but I do like full range, and exceptional clarity. I do on occasion, turn the music up a bit, to overcome traffic noise and whatnot. What's the best drop in out there. I'm clueless on car audio.

Well I uesd a pioneer set and the suck. They fit nice, but the sound is terrible. I have to turn the base all of the way down or they scratch. (Not running an amp) I'm going to swap em out. Probably going with Infinity.

Well I uesd a pioneer set and the suck. They fit nice, but the sound is terrible. I have to turn the base all of the way down or they scratch. (Not running an amp) I'm going to swap em out. Probably going with Infinity.

I went with pioneers also up front, and I have the same problem as you with them. I'm running a Sony Explode 52x4 head unit with Sony explode speakers in the doors and Explode 6x9's in the rear deck. I think I need an amp seperate for the 6x9's to get more punch out of them, the fronts over power them with too much highs unless I turn treble down.

You need a bass blocker on the line going to the 3.5 dash speakers. You can get them pretty cheap and then you don't have to turn down your bass you just block the small speakers that can't handle it from distorting

i definitely dont want scratchy sounding speakers. i was looking into a set of infinity's possibly, ive heard good things from a few friends about infinity speakers. hopefully if i get them they will sound good without an amp because im not looking to install one any time soon.

thanks for the replies so far guys:smile:

I don't know about the ability of the infinity's being able to handle the sun and heat on the dash. I had a pair in there and it looked as though someone had melted them with a lighter, plus they cracked the hell out of my dash. :frown: I ended up going with some Memphis speakers that were not as high nor quiet as expensive and they sound as good as you're going to get 3 1/3 inch speakers to sound.

try adding some bass blockers. they are just capacitors in series with the speakers. you can get them at bust buy.

Crossover the usual aftermarket ones, assuming a -6db slope basic bassblocker capacitor, at about 400Hz-500Hz.

Will allow a bit more cranking ability.

I used a set of Rockfords midbass that aren't made anymore, and only had to block below 200Hz and they sound awesome with an amp.

But of course I can't find a pair for the GN. :mad:

Old skool rules. :cool:

Good for 80 watts RMS which is unheard of these days in a 3.5" speaker. :smile:

DSC00026.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00027.jpg
[/IMG]

here some pics of mine just done them this sunday never know how dam heavy the stock speakers were.

i went with pioneers..3.5's in the front and 4 x 10's in the rear...3.5's were 45 and 80 for the 4 x 10's...stock size for the t-type and i think they sound pretty good

well i got the infinity 3022cf 3.5" speakers and installed them... they sound clearer than the stockers, thank god! Speaker retailed at $80 at bestbuy but my buddy that works there picked them up for $35 or so!

i saw the post about infinity's not liking heat but my car sleeps in the garage:)

since the speakers had tweeters that stuck up too high, i had to put the factory spring clips on the speaker itself along with a decent size washer/shim, all so i could use the factory screws and mount the speaker on the bottom of the speaker hole. Not bad but it caught me off guard.

I have some pioneer 6x9's(got a sweet deal on these as well >50% off!) for the rear but i am awaiting the arrival of my 4x10 to 6x9 adapters in the mail!

Clips

well i got the infinity 3022cf 3.5" speakers and installed them... they sound clearer than the stockers, thank god! Speaker retailed at $80 at bestbuy but my buddy that works there picked them up for $35 or so!

i saw the post about infinity's not liking heat but my car sleeps in the garage:)

since the speakers had tweeters that stuck up too high, i had to put the factory spring clips on the speaker itself along with a decent size washer/shim, all so i could use the factory screws and mount the speaker on the bottom of the speaker hole. Not bad but it caught me off guard.

I have some pioneer 6x9's(got a sweet deal on these as well >50% off!) for the rear but i am awaiting the arrival of my 4x10 to 6x9 adapters in the mail!

same problem i had that is why i used zips i though of using the clips on my speaker but seem to be cliped to tight didn't want to break anything has these cars are 20 plus years old to me infinity speakers are good quality sound. I'll be running pioneer 6x9 speakers but 5 way.

same problem i had that is why i used zips i though of using the clips on my speaker but seem to be cliped to tight didn't want to break anything has these cars are 20 plus years old to me infinity speakers are good quality sound. I'll be running pioneer 6x9 speakers but 5 way.

ah 5 way, nice i only got 3 wat 6x9's i believe.

yea i was pretty tentative with everything being that my car is 22... actually it turns 23 this month:biggrin:

Dont get me wrong, I use a lot of zip ties on my Buicks, but I dont know if I like them on the dash speakers. I guess if it works it works? They dont move around or rattle on the cover?