Dash Speaker Cover Screws

Jonasterg

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Took off the dash speaker cover to replace my 3.5" speakers. It went well, except for dropping one screw in the defrost duct. (The last screw of the job, of course...)

Is there any way to get it out easily? It fell into the duct in front of the steering wheel.

How much do I need to disassemble to get at it? Or do I just give up and sell the car?

Took off the dash speaker cover to replace my 3.5" speakers. It went well, except for dropping one screw in the defrost duct. (The last screw of the job, of course...)

Is there any way to get it out easily? It fell into the duct in front of the steering wheel.

How much do I need to disassemble to get at it? Or do I just give up and sell the car?
Sounds like LS swap time :p In all seriousness it's probably a lost cause unless you want to tear a lot of stuff apart. Maybe a magnet on a string and go fishing?

I'll go fishing this evening, maybe I'll get lucky! ... Or maybe I'll lose the magnet down there too.
If you haven't found the Dash Screw yet, I have a suitable replacement although not a OEM screw. Let me know if you want a couple & I'll send them to you.
The OEM is a black oxide steel screw 7mm (head) x 1.5 (thread pitch) x 20mm (length) - Drive size T20
The McMaster-Carr screw is zinc plated steel, 1/4" (head) x 18 (thread pitch) x 3/4" (length) - Drive size T20
Link: Strip-Resistant Drilling Screws for Metal - in case you want to replace them all.

i
GN Dash Screw OEM.jpg
GN Dash Strip-Resistant Drilling Screws for Metal.jpg
OEM & McMaster Dash Screws.jpg

Thank you very much!

I ended up buying a new dash speaker cover and hardware from GBodyParts since mine had some cracks at the speaker grills before this, and cracked all the way through when I was reinstalling. Since the hardware is included, I'm hoping I'll have what I need later this week.

If I get the new speaker cover and still need hardware, I will let you know.

I did go fishing a bit and didn't have any luck. The duct has some angles that I couldn't navigate well. As long as it doesn't rattle too much while driving, I guess I'll just live with it. (Or maybe use it to justify a frame-off restoration?)

Thank you very much!

I ended up buying a new dash speaker cover and hardware from GBodyParts since mine had some cracks at the speaker grills before this, and cracked all the way through when I was reinstalling. Since the hardware is included, I'm hoping I'll have what I need later this week.

If I get the new speaker cover and still need hardware, I will let you know.

I did go fishing a bit and didn't have any luck. The duct has some angles that I couldn't navigate well. As long as it doesn't rattle too much while driving, I guess I'll just live with it. (Or maybe use it to justify a frame-off restoration?)
OK, great, Just let me know if you need em'.

A stiff wire with a magnet on it and a lot of patience will retrieve the screw. BTDT. I think it took me about two hours before it latched on.