Thinking of changing turbo one day and / or chip - details inside

BuickMike

Money pit
Hey all,

You can see my combo below. Here is what I'm looking to address. My TE-44 is probably a bit small for my combo. Honestly it is a blast at WOT because it comes on so hard its like I have a big block car. I'm now running 26psi on pump gas and alky with 18 degrees of timing and 10.9-11.0 AFR. I have trapped 120 with only 21 psi on the same combo so you get the point that this thing should run deep 11's with a good launch. My problem is with drivability. I have a bad case of the infamous TE-44 flutter at part throttle. It never used to bother me, however lately as I've been cruising around more vs. going balls out all the time. When I built my motor, the intention was not to keep the 44, but I did. Being that I have Champion ported irons, 212 /212 cam, and a converter that seems to flash around 4700-4800 RPM (at least that's where it bottoms out when shifting into 3rd while it is unlocked), I think I need something bigger.

So here are my thoughts. Maybe look into Eric's SD2 chip so I can dial the car in better, especially in regards to being able to control boost electronically without having to add another gadget to my car. I can dial in the WGDC at part throttle in order to curb the turbo a bit. This will also hopefully assist me in dialing boost ramp up a bit better at WOT in 1st gear to avoid frying off the tires. The other thing I need to look into is a bigger turbo to compliment my setup better, but that will have to wait awhile for budgetary reasons. Maybe a 6262?

Thoughts?

Being that I have Champion ported irons, 212 /212 cam, and a converter that seems to flash around 4700-4800 RPM (at least that's where it bottoms out when shifting into 3rd while it is unlocked), I think I need something bigger.
any 60 series billet wheel turbos with a 65/66 turbine would be my choice.

That surging is a pita. I went to a bigger turbo and it went away.