Thinking of changing my cam. looking for opinions

You sir will be moving onto the showcase round. That there is the answer i was looking for.

Ok so, Port heads, champion ported stock intake, 224 224 cam, 6765H turbo, 3400 converter. I think im pretty well set with that there. Maybe a bigger turbo?

Thanks for the advise. I'll call bobby soon.

Your concern at that point will be the converter. You really need a converter that will couple well or you will run out of room. Fwiw comp 26120's are an excellent spring for hydraulic applications where you are going to go over 6000 rpm. Id go with a little less cam than the 224/224 if your 231ci.

Your concern at that point will be the converter. You really need a converter that will couple well or you will run out of room. Fwiw comp 26120's are an excellent spring for hydraulic applications where you are going to go over 6000 rpm. Id go with a little less cam than the 224/224 if your 231ci.

Yeah... I think there is a thread floating around here somewhere that has a ton of good info in it about valve springs. ;)
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/296450-motor-wont-rev-over-5200-5300rpm-wtf.html

Thanks again Brian for your help. I haven't been able to romp on the car yet... but this Saturday at Cecil it will make at least 2 runs down the track. :cool:

My 218/212 had great street manners. I don't see where a 224 would be too much for the 231. Better breathing on the top end. Call Bobby and let him know all of your mods and your expectations, he will let you know which way to go or he may tell you to just keep what you have and go with a 1.65 rocker. He is not the kind of guy to over sell you. He will also tell you to run low timing and higher boost.:D
I see you were running 18*. I think 21* would wake it up some. Find someone to help tune your F.A.S.T. I love mine and I am just a beginner tuning on it.
Keep us posted with the outcome.

Bryan

My 218/212 had great street manners. I don't see where a 224 would be too much for the 231. Better breathing on the top end. Call Bobby and let him know all of your mods and your expectations, he will let you know which way to go or he may tell you to just keep what you have and go with a 1.65 rocker. He is not the kind of guy to over sell you. He will also tell you to run low timing and higher boost.:D
I see you were running 18*. I think 21* would wake it up some. Find someone to help tune your F.A.S.T. I love mine and I am just a beginner tuning on it.

Bryan

I already have a 1.65 rocker. The converter is fine. Its a 231 .040 over. not that big of a difference. I may just get the heads and intake and leave the cam

Bryan
He told me that the bigger cam was not really needed and that it will only need more converter and soften the low rpm power. If the cam was at 110 l/c then it will be really doggy with a 3.8. I have a 9.3:1 233ci with a 218/224@110 and like he said its a pig down low. My peak torque is at 5500-5600. It pulls over 6000 with no problem. I had it advanced 2 degrees then too. You really need a 3600 stall at zero boost/vacuum or slightly more to have it work really well. I actually lost 200+ rpm stall with the converter i have in vs. last years engine with the same converter and this engine has a lot more compression. Just things to consider. If you are planning on not having the engine below about 5300 then the 224 may be the way to go. If its an application where the valve springs will limit the rpm its a no go. A steel rotating assembly is mandatory

I already have a 1.65 rocker. The converter is fine. Its a 231 .040 over. not that big of a difference. I may just get the heads and intake and leave the cam

If your converter was fine on the old cam i doubt it will be with the 224@110. The 224 is a 140+mph cam. Dont go much over .550 lift unless you choose to go solid.

He told me that the bigger cam was not really needed and that it will only need more converter and soften the low rpm power. If the cam was at 110 l/c then it will be really doggy with a 3.8. I have a 9.3:1 233ci with a 218/224@110 and like he said its a pig down low. My peak torque is at 5500-5600. It pulls over 6000 with no problem. I had it advanced 2 degrees then too. You really need a 3600 stall at zero boost/vacuum or slightly more to have it work really well. I actually lost 200+ rpm stall with the converter i have in vs. last years engine with the same converter and this engine has a lot more compression. Just things to consider. If you are planning on not having the engine below about 5300 then the 224 may be the way to go. If its an application where the valve springs will limit the rpm its a no go. A steel rotating assembly is mandatory

If Bobby told you that then that is good enough for me. My stroker is a 9.6:1 compression ratio 250 inch motor so a larger cam was no issue. I actually should have gone a little larger.I will be shifting at 6200

Ok so it looks like im changing my mind back to leaving the 218/212 in there. It seems my converter may not do it, i may loose alot down low, and im not going to gain anything unless im over 6000 RPM.

So my next question is, i rev this motor to 6300 and would like to go even higher. Would changing the valve springs to the ones bobby uses on the 224/224 cam be a wise choice? I think it couldnt hurt from what ive read.

Also, i may not even get the head ported after some measureing tonight on ported GN1's and ported champion intake. It seems the intake is not as large as the head ports. I'll get exact measurements and pics then start a new thread. Maybe you need the champion intake to match the head ports? (The 700 one not the stock ported)

Thanks alot!!

Ok so it looks like im changing my mind back to leaving the 218/212 in there. It seems my converter may not do it, i may loose alot down low, and im not going to gain anything unless im over 6000 RPM.

So my next question is, i rev this motor to 6300 and would like to go even higher. Would changing the valve springs to the ones bobby uses on the 224/224 cam be a wise choice? I think it couldnt hurt from what ive read.

Also, i may not even get the head ported after some measureing tonight on ported GN1's and ported champion intake. It seems the intake is not as large as the head ports. I'll get exact measurements and pics then start a new thread. Maybe you need the champion intake to match the head ports? (The 700 one not the stock ported)

Thanks alot!!

The gain on porting is under the valve not in the port openings. You shouldnt need to go over 6100 if you are trapping under 140mph. Im using comp 26120 springs. Your target shift point should be around 5900-6000 with the cam you have and it shouldnt be much over 6100@140mph in 3rd if the converter is doing its job. There is no point in the extra rpm if your staying hydraulic.

If Bobby told you that then that is good enough for me. My stroker is a 9.6:1 compression ratio 250 inch motor so a larger cam was no issue. I actually should have gone a little larger.I will be shifting at 6200

It will still need 3400 at zero boost/vacuum to really spool fast. More if on pump gas since you will be using much less aggressive timing curve on spoolup

It will still need 3400 at zero boost/vacuum to really spool fast. More if on pump gas since you will be using much less aggressive timing curve on spoolup

I currently have an Art Carr 3400-3600 N stall in it and it spools like crazy without the extra cubes. I have a feeling that I will be getting a new converter spec'd by the man.
I will be running pump gas and a dual nozzle ALKY mostly. I will be setting it up for race gas as well to see what kind of number it will run.