Thinking about purchasing a R33 GT-R

benoitthegr8

Sociopathic TR Ownership
So after a near full career of never having an overseas assignment (deployments aside), I've found myself in Japan without any type of real motorsports toys..... I've had my share to Turbo Buick's, five to be exact and found myself somehow enamored with the thought of picking up a GT-R while overseas and making it a science project for sheets and giggles. I figure it's an inline 6, forced induction, RWD, how hard can it be?.... lol. yeah, anyway this may seem to sound like a bad idea to some, but the real issue is if I can export this thing to the US, how much, and if I can w/o the drive train how ridiculous would it be to put an LC2 in it as a track car? Replies welcome....

BT

Is R33 the new body style or the older one? Unfortunitly I dont think either is legal on the streets over here. It being a track car is completly legal though and not to mention those cars are amazing machines

We have some Skylines here in St. Louis that were imported and are RHD.... i am pretty sure it would be legal just expensive.... but then again i am sure it would be worth it just for the "Exclusivity" factor.... anyway i like the R33s much more than the R32

If RHD is illegal they should pull over every postal worker. ;) Jokes aside they do sell off old postal trucks/jeeps to the public so I would assume RHD is legal.

Save your money and spend it on shipping me those valve springs :p Have fun and be safe over there brah. Tell the little and big misses I said "ichiban" for me!!

So after a near full career of never having an overseas assignment (deployments aside), I've found myself in Japan without any type of real motorsports toys..... I've had my share to Turbo Buick's, five to be exact and found myself somehow enamored with the thought of picking up a GT-R while overseas and making it a science project for sheets and giggles. I figure it's an inline 6, forced induction, RWD, how hard can it be?.... lol. yeah, anyway this may seem to sound like a bad idea to some, but the real issue is if I can export this thing to the US, how much, and if I can w/o the drive train how ridiculous would it be to put an LC2 in it as a track car? Replies welcome....

BT
Skylines are cool...loved mine when I lived in Japan. Every few years you have JCI insurance thats very strict so if you mod it you are going to have to put it back stock or run parts that are JASMA certified and keep the Certs for said parts for the inspection. Also have road tax and insurance.
I think the R33 still had the ability to pull the fuse and disable all wheel drive and make it RWD so you could drift it...but maybe that was the R32...been a while.

2nd gear synchros tend to take a hit in the R33.

If the stock clutch setup has been replaced with a higher power Pressure plate then the stock slave cyl can use a upgrade.

Rear of the valve covers seep oil but just can use a retorque.

Airfilter, downpipe, test pipe exhaust, boost controller and dyno tune...really wakes them up.. Factory left alot in the tune!

I say go for it

Tons of parts for it and the Japanese women love the car.....repeat ...love it!!!!

As far as bringing back over here...dont think thats possible anymore...a company called Motorex did teh conversions years ago to the ones that are overhere and are no longer doing it IIRC.

They wanted 15k do convert my R32 to us specs, that didnt included getting it to us shore!!!

Some quick history...

E-BCNR33 aka R33 GTR was produced from 1995 - 1998 and was the 4th Generation of the GTR. All GTRs were AWD and featured the tried and proven RB26DETT inline 6, ceramic turbine wheel equipped twin turbochargers. It was conservatively rated at the same hp as the previous R32 at 276hp, but torque swelled slightly to 289 ft lbs tq. The R33 model gained some weight over the previous R32 model, which was the lightest of the RB26 powered GTRs. (3400ish lbs for the R33, vs 3150ish lbs for the R32) The factory engine, can be pushed easily to 600 flywheel hp without serious internal modifications. The R32 (1989 - 1994) models are highly sought after by drag racers, due to the weight factor.

My time in Japan was when these cars (R32 models) were only 2 years old. And they ruled the streets at the local street races in Hachinohe. My recommendation is this, do your research around your base area, for what local speed shops specialize in GTRs and do your best to find one that's not abused. Unfortunately, by now, that's going to be as hard as finding a Buick or Fox body Mustang that's never been abused. IOW, almost impossible. But, if you find a nice one, try to find one that has tasteful mods, steer clear of ones with huge monster single turbo upgrades because they will be dogs and will require huge RPMs to get the turbo spooled. Think quick spooling at low rpms for fun on the street. If you could swing it, I'd be looking for a Mine's tuned R32, as they are one of the most revered GTR tuners in Japan. But the reason you want to do your homework about your local shops, is you want someone that knows exactly what they are doing with a GTR, vs a hack shop that might have worked on a couple over the years. Just like a Turbo Buick, search out the gurus and go from there.
Also, keep this in mind, unfortunately, you will not be able to legally ship and register your prized GTR in the US. Nor legally be able to drive one on the streets. From what I was told, by a lot of the top Nissan performance shops around the country last year, all R32 and R33 GTRs are actively being tracked and sought out to be taken off the streets in the US. I have heard way too many horror stories, of GTR owners that have been notified that their cars must be taken off the street and or have been confiscated and crushed by the man. This is truly sad as these cars are incredible machines.

Here's a couple of vids to get you more acclimated to the GTRs.

First, a Mine's tuned R34 GTR. One of the most impressive GTR videos ever made IMO.

Here is a CRD tuned R32 GTR.

Here are all the current model GTR's battling it out at Tsukuba.

And lastly, here are a couple of the 0-400 meter Battle Drags from way back in 1998.

Remember, this was stuff done back in '98. Not that impressive when compared to what's being done with the current R35 GTR, but still very impressive non the less.

Lastly, enjoy your Skyline, you definitely want one with the RB26DETT motor, no matter which model you get, but just have fun. Don't pass up a GTS that's had a RB26DETT swapped into it either. The GTS models were RWD only cars, so just keep that in mind. I only wish I could have owned an R32 when I was there, but they were way too much money and a lowly E2 could not own a 2 year old GTR back then.
HTH

Patrick