Think fuel pump died

Reapersgbodys

Put about 350 miles on the T last weekend, everything was going good, went out this morning, low and behold, no start, I have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, pressure gauge, and hot wire kit, turn key on, do not here the pump running, I have power to and thru the hot wire relay.
I have power thru the original 3 wire connector, unplugged the hot wire kit, plugged pump connection back into the original harness, and still nothing.
Am I correct in assuming that my fuel pump has reached an end????
I tried using the search engine, but keeps coming up error!!!!!!
Any and all help is appreciated.

The FP/INJ fuse is good, hooked up 12V to the fuel pump test wire, grey wire behind alternator, and nothing.
So, I guess it's time to replace the fuel pump, since I have no idea if it is still the stock pump, and might as well pick up the New injectors while I'm at it

Sure sounds like a dead pump. I'm waiting on my new pump to come it too. Mine was even more frustrating because I could hear the pump, and I assumed my problem was something ignition based, until I checked fuel pressure and only got 1-2 psi.

jbeier, did you check your fuel filter to make sure it was not clogged.
I didn't check it, I replaced it at the same time. I never do a pump without doing a filter. Filters are cheap and easy to change and they're cheap insurance.

I have had my car for 20 years and am on my 3rd fuel pump. Every time in the past mine quit working I got the car running again by banging on the gas tank with a hammer. Sounds crude but it works. Saved me from being stranded and needing a tow more than once until I could get it changed.

The only good thing is, it was in the garage and wouldn't start, and not on the road during our Sunday drive, I would have beaten the shit out the gas tank to try to get it working rather then be towed home.
And still would change it at that point even if it was still working after beating my gas tank.
My old Dodge truck was like that many many moons ago, pump would die, beat on the tank, poof down the road we go again, was like that for 3 years before it finally died, but I am at a point that I can afford to fix my car and not limp it around.

When you have the tank out inspect the yellow bulkhead connector on the sending unit and the plug on the intermediate harness that goes into it , it is a known source for a bad connection .

Well, low and behold, look what I found when I pulled the fuel pump, connector lock was warped, and will no longer lock the plug together.
Took me all of an hour to drop the tank, remove the old sending unit and pump and replace with new sending unit and pump, so, I guess I have a 30 yr old "back up" Lol

Attachments

• IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
Best bet for an upgrade is a single racetronix pump with their hanger/sending unit that has an upgraded harness from the pump to the car's harness. The AC Delco senders that are sold through some vendors are a recipe for a fire if used with a hotwire due to the wiring being too small of a gauge.

Last edited:
??? Beats me, it is pretty much stock, stock injectors, stock Turbo, my sig has everything I've done since I bought it in April. It does idle and run better with new pump, and I actually have a gas gauge that reads correctly!!!!' Lol