Think a LS1 maf is worth it for my car?

Berman

I have a standard MAF, with 3" tubing. (looks like a nicely home-made bigmouth kit) So there is rubber necking down on both sides of the MAF. Think it's worth it to get a LS1 maf? (Actually for me, I'd buy a nice LS6 maf for my TA and just use the TA's maf for the t-type). Sure looks like a restriction to me, but my mechanic says, "waste of money". He says save and spend the money on a THDP.

Argh what I am I doing to myself financially trying to upgrade this car AND get some stage 2 heads for my TA.. :D

Originally posted by azgn
as long as your stock MAF works, no reason to change

I was just thinking in terms of restriction. The inlet to the turbo is huge, the inlet pipe is huge, and it necks down to small for the maf then back up to huge again after.

the stock MAF is not really a restriction until you are making a lot of power....like mid 10's or so

Don't bother with the maf as suggested. Your stock downpipe elbo is much more of a restriction. Besides, to take full advantage of a ls1 maf you'll want the translator plus and the extender chip which when all is said and done you will have around $500 invested and you won't be any faster.

Get a ported elbo, and an SMC alky kit and you'll have much more fun.

On a high 11's kind of car the new style MAF is good for about .1 sec in the quarter. The difference can be felt.

The turbo spools faster too.

But, on the street an Alky kit rocks!
(I put mine on a few weeks ago)

Could always try the MAF from the TA.
(I believe you said you have a MAFT in your other thread)

Bob

IMO

I love the translator+ i did not buy it just for the larger maf but for the tunning ability it gives me.I love to have the control of the timing and fuel at the tips of my finger.Straight bolt on performance the THDP might give ya more out of the box,but tuning to get the most out of your combo is half the fun!

I would get the THDP and then set a little money aside when ya can for a T+ you wont be sorry.;)

Berman
I can tell you what my personal experiences were/are, I have both the LS1(3.5") and LT1(3") MAF's here, and was changing back and forth between them on a regular basis for a while trying to figure out which way was best and if there was any difference on a car like mine.
Short answer; YES. You will not only "feel" the LS1 on the butt dyno, but you'll see it on your time slips as well (I gained a .1, and 1.5mph) over the 3".

Better throttle response, better all around. Not sure why Black6Pack didn't see any difference, but most of us do. And my car isn't exactly a screemer, and no internal engine mods.

Originally posted by TurboBob

Could always try the MAF from the TA.
(I believe you said you have a MAFT in your other thread)

This is true. All I need is a new MAFT connector to put it on the t-type and I can try it out. It takes about .05 seconds to remove the maf from the TA.

TurboDave,
I didn't say he wouldn't get any benefit from it. What I said was that if his current MAF works, there are better places to spend the money, IMHO. For the $500 it takes to get the full Translator + setup, I would rather spend it on an alky kit and an EGT gauge and pick up 1 second and 10 mph rather than .1 second and 1.5 mph. My MAF has 206,000 miles on it, so I am following all the new MAF developments closely. I think I will end up going MAFless though.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Don't bother with the maf as suggested. Your stock downpipe elbo is much more of a restriction.

I dont think its near as bad a restriction as what you think. My TTA was still using the stock elbow before we took the motor out.

It couldnt have been that bad :confused:

Is it worth it for your car? Only you can answer if it is worth it to you or not. As TurboDave mentioned it is a difference you can feel. Turbo spoolup is better and throttle response is noticeably better as well. Overall driveability is better when using the Extender chip as well. Bob's chips are second-to-none IMO.

Originally posted by c&cgn
Is it worth it for your car? Only you can answer if it is worth it to you or not. As TurboDave mentioned it is a difference you can feel. Turbo spoolup is better and throttle response is noticeably better as well. Overall driveability is better when using the Extender chip as well. Bob's chips are second-to-none IMO.

Yes, and to further clerify, when I said it was a seat of the pants difference, I was refering to the LS1 MAF over the LT1 MAF, not the stock setup.

Trust me, the difference between the LS1 MAF setup and the stock MAF is HUUUUUUUGGGGGE!

I can personally acount for a .3 and no less than a 5mph improvement before ANY tuning was started on the T+/Extender.