Things I'd like to see in a manual

bobc455

For the most part, I agree that if you are going to spend the extra money on a programmable controller, you should have a pretty good idea what you are controlling and how it works, etc. I think if you understand that, this is a very intuitive system that 98% of the parameters can be easily tuned once the user understands what they are tuning.

Having said that, there are some things I'd like to see. Let me say in advance, however, that all I've used is the "old" reference-guide style book, and the help files at the F.A.S.T. website. There may be additional content that I've never seen in the few times I've played with the Windows version. Disclaimer done.

The manuals have kinda been set up like a dictionary, with some basic explanations of how stuff works. What I would like to see in addition are things like
a) What you'll see if that parameter is mis-tuned (i.e. if you have an idle surge, it could be due to timing or lean mixture)
b) A suggested start-up and tuning procedure for a new system (first check the injector size, MAP sensor, RPM range, engine size, firing order etc., then start the car and drive it to tune VE tables, timing, whatever)
c) better information on how to adjust certain parameters (two that stick out are the IAC P & D terms, I have an Engineering degree and work for a company that makes it's own several-hundred-thousand-dollar microprocessor control systems, but if you walked up to me and said that you had an oscillating idle speed because of your P & D terms, all I would do is goof around with both numbers until it seemed to go away, never really knowing what happened). Also, something like a formula on how much injector PW to add for a dry nitrous shot would be nice, even if only used as a guide (being concious of liability issues here).
d) More information on how the system functions (for example how the computer goes from crank mode to after-start and where warmup enrichment fits in to a cold startup)

I assume others will contribute other positive comments as well.

-Bob Cunningham

I'd like to see nekked weminz in the manual. That way , when I'm stumped and looking stupid flippin' thru the book looklng for answers, I'll at least have sumtin' to look at. :D

That said, the manual for the DFI 6 is pretty good. Written by Ray Bohac, or something like that, I think. Anyway, it's a really good starting point for what I'd like to see.

I assume this manual would target street cars more that race cars because most racers have a better understanding of reading plugs, identifying lean or rich conditions. Also low speed driving is not an issue.

1) Detailed instruction on, cold crank - afterstart - warmup enrichment. If the engine dies after 2 or 3 seconds tell me what to look at. Tell me why the engine surges at startup when the engine is warm.

2) More detail on AE enrichment. If it is speed density and you have a rich or lean condition after a shift or under heavy throttle say what to look for step by step.

3) Rename or explain why the AE vs TPS should start at 100 but go to a negative number. Is it still adding fuel here or what?

4) IAC details, what would happen if P term was raised to high or to low.

Treat me like a 40yr. old with my first computer. How about a little yellow book, call it " FAST FOR DUMMIES", that sounds original to me. Spend some time and make it for me, the dummy. The one that could not figure out why my fresh 327 with the 850 holley had no throttle responce. Then went out and bought the latest Super Chevy to read about the coolest new product. Started putting money back because I wanted to "catch up" with everyone. Not really having the knowledge of tuning.

Amen to this topic. I've commented on this a lot before. I really think the instructions included in the kit are so generic and broad brushed I almost always suggest to newbies looking for a EFI system to go with something like a commander 950 due the much better tech information included. In fact the Edelbrock Pro Flo install and tuning instructions are even better in many respects.

I'd highly suggest the FAST get a good install and tuning manual together and make it available to all the new users and existing users.