thin selective for rear end play???

Warrant

First 2004r build, been going forever, im running out of patience and its not ever together yet grrr

I am alittle confused about my rear end play.

I have everything assembled up per ck book.

I cant fit my selective washer between the carrier and snap ring. The ck book says if you cant fit it something is misassembled but i have check and rechecked and everything seems to be seated fine. also what size is he assuming your starting with cause a small one might fit whereas a larger one wouldnt? But the washer i have measures .137"

The space I have between the top of the carrier and the bottom of the snap ring measures .095" Does this mean i need a washer thats about .090"?? Have you guys heard of this small of a washer. Its not listed on the chart? Also what is it talking about colors? there is no color on my washer?

BTW i have a bearing between the lo/reverse housing and sunshell. I can use the stock (hardened) sunshell right? a pocket doesnt need to be mashined into the sunshell also right? (lo/reverse housing and bearing are from ck)

Is there something fishy here or am I ok with a washer that thin?

on a little side note - hopefully this doesnt confuse anyone

If I leave out the snap ring that holds the sunshell to the sun gear and then assemble everything normaly... I can fit my .137" washer with .017" clearance.

That snap ring measures .064"... sooooo .137-.064=.073 +.017=.090

So i mean that thickness in the snap ring (plus that .017 clearance) is what i need to machine off my .137 washer right to achieve .005 clearance. Seems to be what i need to do.

talked to chris, .090 is ok if any one else was wondering.

another question if anyone knows - what is the selective washers purpose? does it have to be perfectly flat? is it a wear item?

I ask because I took a belt sander to mine and it took a while but I got it down to .093" however it varies in thickness with + or - .003 :confused:

If you measure enough of the stock ones you will find they usually run out between .002" and .005".Selective washers control end play differences generated by machining tolerance totals between parts.

I actually ended up with .015" Clearance, is this ok? (also washer ended up being about .076" after i got it cut.

Is .015-.020" ok for the rear?

and .020-.025 ok for center?

behind high horse power motor?

I had the same problem Last week when I was assembling my lo/reverse setup. I couldn't get the snap ring on the output shaft with the selective washer in place. I must have torn that setup down 12-15 times! I didn't even need the assembly manual after the 10th time... I was proud of myself! But still pissed I couldn't get it to work. Then I noticed that the sun shell has some play between the end of the splines on the sun gear and the snap ring. When I put the sun gear/ shell assembly in I always bottomed the shell out on the splines so there was a gap between the shell and the snap ring. Then I decided to try sliding the shell up against the snap ring and installing it that way. BINGO! The sun gear dropped further into the planet, which gave more space for the selective washer. The snap ring went right on. I couldn't believe I'd assembled it the other way so many times without figuring it out! Don't know if this could be your problem, but it might be. Hope this helps!