output shaft end clearance.

cdw1946

rebuilding my first 200 4r. set the end play per chris book. when i assembled everything in the case i could not get the snap ring in. clearance on the bench was .003. clearance before rebuild was .053. as i took everything back out (for the 20th time) i noticed when i pulled up on the output shaft it looked like if i could hold it there i could install the snap ring. as i looked at the yoke i have mounted it is not as long as the ones you can buy at the parts stores. the parking pawl looks to be in the right spot. i had to install an extra snap ring on the sun shell to get my clearance. other than support, what is the function of the yoke. this trans was in excellent condition when i tore it down, just did not know anything about it and needed to put some upgrades in it. thanks a lot.

To get it assembled at .003 you'll need upward pressure on the output shaft, as you'll have to push the low/rev support snap ring against the spring pressure of the piston return spring, taking up the slack in that snap ring groove. Might ask one of the more veteran builders if it's okay to run that tight if the rear section is not fully rollerized.

I wouldn't run it that tight. You will need to support the output shaft to get the ring on. .010" is good. You can go tight with the rear gear and the low/rev center support rollerized. Going tight will cause the tab washers to wear faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The spring tension from the snap ring play when set up super tight was something I'd noticed, but never seen anything mentioned anywhere about it. So far I've set them all up around .010 but next trip out to my buddies lathe I am going to start cutting the rear internal gear as well as the low/rev support to fully rollerize the rear section. I finally acquired some spare hard parts.

It's hard to do in most lathes. Easier in a mill

I wouldn't run it that tight. You will need to support the output shaft to get the ring on. .010" is good. You can go tight with the rear gear and the low/rev center support rollerized. Going tight will cause the tab washers to wear faster.

thanks for the reply.
It's hard to do in most lathes. Easier in a mill

thanks for the reply. i'm going to set it at .010. i'll have to go to the school of hard knocks on this trans. i'm sure i'll have some more questions. i remember doing my first turbo 350 and how intimidated i was. turned out great. had a nice 15 year run of race prepping the turbo 350.