theftproofing your grand nash.. (lojack,club, what works?)

97jeepgcl4trade

we all know these are high theft cars...

what do you think the monthly rate is to lojack it would be? and is that effective in deterring theft?

also, does the club work???

alarm systems put on your grand nash would cost?

i dont want to buy my nash, living in the high theft area i live in (in between such places as newark/jerseycity/nyc) and have it snatched from my back.

Garage, good alarm, a couple hidden switches for fuel/ power cutouts, remove the ECM, club, column guard, AK-47, and sleep in the car. ;)

You think I am kidding. Thank the car Gods and Internet Gods for wireless internet and laptops. (if only I had bought an in-dash DVD player...)

just get an alarm with a kill switch and two way so it cant get far and you will know soon enough to get you ak i took off the lock s and put smooth ones on so you cant snag them with a hanger as easy

Better Than Lojack! (My opinion).

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie. I just bought a very nice GN. It's middle-age syndrome toy (my wife says ;-). I was worried about my investment being stolen so I was looking for some piece of mind and found this site:

http://www.vehiclerecover.com/

I installed a GPS tracker on my GN and it's great. You can also set a "geofence" which means the unit will let you know by email or by phone message if your car happends to "drive itself" outside a perimeter (like your storage location).

You only pay for the GPS unit once for $249.95 and install it in a hidden location on your vehicle. Then you pay only $24.95 per year which includes 14 locates during the year (You probably really only need 1 to find your car if it's stolen). This is the best deal for a "lojack" type device that I know of.

The unit has some great features like...

If the thief tries to remove the unit it has a battery backup inside that runs the unit for 24 hours after power loss. It will then phone in it's last know location even if the thief rips out the GPS antenna.

It also senses tampering and will phone home if:
1. The GPS antenna is removed.
2. It's been disconnected from the battery.

Hope you guys find it interesting.

lojack is good only up to a certain point, 4 example, if u are on vacation,car is stolen,by the time u find out, the car is chopped up or sold..there are only a select places to mount the lojack...even if it's gone over night,the lojack unit will be found....a nice permanent steering column lock cover is a good option..kill switches...many of them everywhere...

theft proof??????

the best theft proofing for any nice g body is....... SELL IT :eek: alarm, lojack, kill switches, all that is nothing for somebody will skills in a tow truck. Good luck, the ak-47 is the best ideal though ;)

I second that! These car are going away on a flatbed! Other than a professional a kill switch is very important but even more important is some form of visual lock because the thief is going to thrash your car trying to start it not knowing it has a kill switch somewhere.

It does require your presence but a 12ga using 3" 00 buck should do the trick. AK47 is a little overkill. If you want to give him a running break than a Barrett M82A1 .50BMG would do the trick. You may have to repair the holes in the car and clean out a few stains. Unfortunately, some minor legal issues may arrise from the situation. Some people just can't appreciate a protective sense one may have for a unique and neat car.
:)

12 year old known G-body car thief.

True story, I have arrested him on two occasions and as of 2 years ago he had over 20 arrests for auto theft, this lil jerk can peel a column faster than U can stage a car after a burnout. He was taught by his step-father and two years ago was all over the news for running from my co-workers and crashing into a house. The kid will take it if he sees it parked, he just doesnt care about getting caught. So the best thing to do is never leave it unattended. The world is full of lil Hectors!

Brer Rabbit said:
True story, I have arrested him on two occasions and as of 2 years ago he had over 20 arrests for auto theft, this lil jerk can peel a column faster than U can stage a car after a burnout. He was taught by his step-father and two years ago was all over the news for running from my co-workers and crashing into a house. The kid will take it if he sees it parked, he just doesnt care about getting caught. So the best thing to do is never leave it unattended. The world is full of lil Hectors!
If someone cought him in the act and beat the ****** out of him next to the car, will they get in trouble? :mad:

Probably so, Jerryl. He'd probably get a shady lawyer and make a few million from you getting sued. After all, he'd be the "victim", right?! :rolleyes: Kind of like the robber who slipped on a knife and sued the homeowner, or the lady with the hot coffee. Gotta love it. :mad:

But, he'd still get an a$$ whooping if it were my car. ;)

I had a column lock and kill switches and some a$$hole stole mine while I was napping. I was on the couch and they pulled up with a tow truck.Bold SOBs got it just that quick. The one I have now stays locked in the shop if I'm not in it.

chris

1. Garage, parking lot or whatever, Always pull up front first then turn your wheel lock to lock in one direction. This prevents..or should I say slow down the wrecker tow away as the wheels will slam the car into what ever is next to it or go to far to one side for a tow away

2. Collar for steering column..one that protects the left side of the column.

3. Club that locks steering wheel to brake pedal. Always use the inner part of the steer wheel not the outer ring. Harder to saw through or more awkward

4. Club that goes across the steering wheel regular style

5. Good alarm with all the bells and whistles and add an extra siren, leds in plain view 360.

6. Kill switches..ecm, fuel pump, etc.

7. Chip with certain thing you must do to start once key is turned on or the thumbwheel outta site ..the old thrashers had this at least as way the TTA one did.

8. Garage at home remember to turn the tires. I had a bud that they broke into his garage through the window and then raised the door and towed his Integra away.

9. Home alarm with detection in garage.

10. A little on the side here ..bud had someone stealing gas from his car and he put a razor blade just poking out on the gas door and there was blood all down the side of his car the next day ..no more stolen gas..too cheap to get a locking gas cap... LOL

While living in Miami the steering collar, club to brake pedal, kill switches, alarm saved me. I wonder how many times our cars have been cased or tried and we never knew???

a kill switch kept my car from being stolen out of my own driveway.
they had bolt cut the steering wheel and had "the club" off in about 5 secs. they were turning it over but it wouldnt start. my neighbor scared them off.
PM me if you are interested in the wiring. real easy install

Wrecker stealing...

A friend of mine had a problem with his car being broken into and trying to steal it...3 times. He caught them with a wrecker backing up to his driveway at 2am and they drove off before he good get a tag #. He finally got a clunker car decoy and parked it behind it with an alarm and siren...One night they tried again trying to tow the clunker mobile and woke up Billy with the loud siren, but Billy was loaded with a shot gun and let it rip......This was 3 years ago and his car was never tampered with again in the driveway...(He lived in a duplex with no garage in Texas)..His car was a 67 396 375hp Chevelle SS with only 47,000 miles. He had a truck he drove to work.... :)

If you have a driveway with no garage, buy a clunker and alarm it and park it behind your valuable car, cheap insurance. If you only have Your GN to drive you still can park a clunker behind it, but that would be an everyday routine.... :cool: