theftproofing your grand nash.. (lojack,club, what works?)

Theft proof

Sleep in your car !!!!

I have learned the hard way, if they want it bad enough they're gonna get it. By force or by theft, all you can do is slow them down and hopefully deter that particular thief from coming back. Hope I catch the next one in a compromising position so I can put him on permanent disabilty. Back up to 3 T's now, more bate for the rats.

Keep it in a locked garage! I wouldn't own one these days without a garage. Mine don't come out without my complete attention. I only leave them unattended at car shows (with a collar lock and disable switches ;) ) but there's plenty of security to deter any would-be-thief. Lojack is a waste of money in my opinion. (The whole idea is that they recover the car AFTER it's been stolen, beat on , and probably blown up!)- I don't think your insurance company is going to want to pay for all of the body damage and a blown engine and trans too!

Oh yeah, a flock of evil mutts and a .45 also help to deter thieves as well... :cool:

ACME RACING said:
A friend of mine had a problem with his car being broken into and trying to steal it...3 times. He caught them with a wrecker backing up to his driveway at 2am and they drove off before he good get a tag #. He finally got a clunker car decoy and parked it behind it with an alarm and siren...One night they tried again trying to tow the clunker mobile and woke up Billy with the loud siren, but Billy was loaded with a shot gun and let it rip......This was 3 years ago and his car was never tampered with again in the driveway...(He lived in a duplex with no garage in Texas)..His car was a 67 396 375hp Chevelle SS with only 47,000 miles. He had a truck he drove to work.... :)

If you have a driveway with no garage, buy a clunker and alarm it and park it behind your valuable car, cheap insurance. If you only have Your GN to drive you still can park a clunker behind it, but that would be an everyday routine.... :cool:

What he did was illegal and shouldn't be done by others unless they feel the need to experience the criminal justice system first hand...

84TXGN said:
What he did was illegal and shouldn't be done by others unless they feel the need to experience the criminal justice system first hand...
You are VERY right! Discharging a firearm in city limits is illegal as HECK! (At least in Houston right?) Not saying anyone should do this but, I am sure the car thief would think twice b4 filing a police report for someone shooting "at him" while he was trying to steal their car. :eek:

Alarm with a pager

Just get an alarm on the car with a pager on the remote, they make em now where it tells you what side the car is being tampered with, such as trunk door hood etc. It beeps on your key chain when the alarm is going off? Cheap too. :)

I have a logging chain on the rear axle tied to an eye hook embedded into the driveway. I did this because car alarms in NYC don't do s@#$!!! I hear them all time and I don't even bother look out the window. A couple of years back someone tried to flat-bed my neighbors car out of his driveway as I was about to go bed, a couple of shots from an air rifle to blow-out the windows was all it took to stop that attempt. That was funny as hell, The driver started screaming "GO!, GO!, I'M TAKING SHOTS!!" as the truck windows started blowing out. I almost pissed on myself from laughing so hard...If I tried that with a .44 or 12ga I would of had NY's Finest kicking down my front door and dragging me out in my underwear...But with an air rifle it was nothing but a PFFfffttt, truck windows breaking and 2 crack heads running down the block after the truck...They didn't even know what hit 'em. Me 2 houses down. After that and my personal trials and tribulations in a past life, I decided I had to physically secure my ride to terra firma. My other security features are a Steadfast collar, Medco Hood-lock w/Ignition kill and a fuel pump kill switch wired in the back seat.

Let me say something on this board to help y'all keep your rides. I know this from personal experience from jackin' in my youth. I'm a saved man now so don't worry about me in your 'hood...BTW I own a '87 GN legally.

Back in the day, the G-body was what the Honda Accord is today. A quick steal for good money. The prime targets were Cutlass Supreme, Buick Regal, and Chevy Monte Carlo from '82 to 87-88. Below a couple of facts...

#1 The Club is joke. For kicks we use to break into someone's car just to practice stealing their Club and leave it on the broken on the front seat.

#2 Slim-Jim the door open. A car thief can do this faster than you can open the door using the key. I'm not kidding.

#3 Don't leave anything in the car you ain't willing to have stolen. This includes the ECM. See #2.

#4 If a car thief can get into your car the first thing he's goin to do is pop the hood and cut the horn or siren.

#5 Your hidden switches are under the dash or in the glove box or center console.

#6 If the steering column is unprotected from the dash to the wheel, consider it gone in 15 seconds.

#7 Re-evaluate who your friends are. Don't tell anyone what security measures you have on your ride. A crack-head or equivlent will sell their left testicle to get high.

#8 If you must park it in the driveway, spend a couple bucks and get a car cover with a cable lock. A car thief won't steal what he can't see. That's why you get a discount on your car insurance if it's in a locked garage.

#9 You will jacked at night sometime between 1am and 5am Monday-Thurs. There is nobody out at that time except cops and criminals.

#10 If a thief wants your car, he's gonna get it. Not unless there is a pitbull with AIDS in the back seat under a blanket.

I know this post will probably be removed, But if you love your car as much as I do, Do your best to protect it...

Oh, one last thing, Remember, It's just a car. If you catch someone stealing it from your driveway or parking lot, be very cautious on you next move. You may see one person jackin your ride but not the other guy coming up behind you from the bushes with a .45 aiming for your head. (There use to be a sayin'-No witness, No case) Just stay cool, call the Police and give a description of the perp, his car your car, and your location. You may feel like bitch, but live to talk 'bout it...

Personally, I'd rather spend the $300 now for security than 10K later for another GN or T.