The Story of My Life

GNBYGM

Kurt
I thought all "car guys" would get a kick out of this. To make a long story short, I'm a transplant to CO and my wife and I built a house last year. For anyone that's done it, God bless you. I can only describe the process as the same feeling as having a sharp rock in your shoe during a marathon and you CAN'T take the offending shoe off to get it out. I'm originally from IL, so my GN was holed up at my parent's house until we had this new place settled and dialed in. Part of that was having the builder blow out a couple sections of concrete in the garage and driveway, so I kept the car out of here until September when the work was done and I had a few other things taken care of. The wife and I flew out to Chicago and drove the car back. After getting some work done to it and passing emissions (uugh) it was time to say goodbye until spring.

Today was supposed to be out first snow and they were calling for anywhere from 3-6". I figured it was as good a time as any to put the car on my car dollies and push it to its winter "resting space". So last night I jacked it up, placed the dollies and pushed the car into place. Basically, you could fit a piece of paper between the front bumper impact strip and the wall. Then my wife pulled my SS into place with me guiding her and we were done. Voila! Until we checked the clearance of the door and rear bumper of the TrailBlazer. FML.

The story of my life - always juuuuust a few inches short................. MFer!!!!! :arghh:

I'm starting to feel that F'n rock again and it looks like my wife's leased Jeep will be getting snowed on. LMAO
IMG_8289.JPG
IMG_8291.JPG
IMG_8292.JPG

That sucks, looks like it's time to get a 4 post lift installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. I'm looking into having a garage built soon myself. I hope my luck is a little better than yours.:eek: BTW how big is yours if I may ask?

If you have enough ceiling clearance for a 4 post it would be a good fix for your problem and they are not that bad expensive but just for the winter you may have to snatch the bumpers off of the GN. It is pretty easy to do and it might give you enough room to just squeeze the SS in and close the door.

sounds like my garage when i was storing my sons car while he was deployed. i see skunkworks pics on the wall did you work there?

If you angle the front of the TBSS to the left, is there not enough room to park the Jeep to the left of it? Like someone else said, I'd take the bumpers off to get the clearance you need.

There's a first world problem. I have put my car in storage for the winter so the wifey can have the garage for her car.

Ummm, you said you are going to park your car for the winter, right? Jack it up and put jackstands under it. Takes the load off the suspension and should gain enough clearance, clarence.
Make sure to hang a tennis ball from the ceiling ( to touch your wifes car windshield ) so your wife knows when to stop.

That sucks, looks like it's time to get a 4 post lift installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was hoping to avoid the expense. But I guess that's my only legit solution now. I researched one for my Dad a dozen or so years ago. I heard a lot of them are made in friggin China now. Any tips on good ones these days?

I feel your pain. I'm looking into having a garage built soon myself. I hope my luck is a little better than yours.:eek: BTW how big is yours if I may ask?

If you have enough ceiling clearance for a 4 post it would be a good fix for your problem and they are not that bad expensive but just for the winter you may have to snatch the bumpers off of the GN. It is pretty easy to do and it might give you enough room to just squeeze the SS in and close the door.
That's a great idea, but it's easier to park my wife's Jeep outside. LMAO! I'm kidding. I might try that one. Thanks!

sounds like my garage when i was storing my sons car while he was deployed. i see skunkworks pics on the wall did you work there?
No, they already had a janitor. :LOL: My loose grip of math would have prohibited me from getting any other jobs there. I'm probably a bigger fan of planes and aviation history than I am of cars. Just a huge fan, that's all.

If you angle the front of the TBSS to the left, is there not enough room to park the Jeep to the left of it? Like someone else said, I'd take the bumpers off to get the clearance you need.
Great minds think alike. We kinda tried that too and no dice. Maybe if I completely changed my setup it would give me enough room, but I didn't have the time or patience left to do it that night. Even then it would be so close, I'd probably being calling a garage door company to replace a section or two of door rail, be buying a side mirror for the Jeep or both! lol

There's a first world problem. I have put my car in storage for the winter so the wifey can have the garage for her car.
No kiddin'! You're a good man. I said the same thing until my wife suggested parking the Jeep outside. It's nice to have an all GM garage! LMAO Thank God for autostart, right?

The Gn is parked for the winter. Pull her rear bumper and filler panels for the time being. Pretty easy to do and costs you nothing but a few minutes. Gains you several inches. Maybe enough?

No kiddin'! You're a good man. I said the same thing until my wife suggested parking the Jeep outside. It's nice to have an all GM garage! LMAO Thank God for autostart, right?
That's a great idea, but it's easier to park my wife's Jeep outside. LMAO! I'm kidding. I might try that one. Thanks!
I just realized I didn't answer your question. It's a three car tandem, so the tandem side is 32' 6" deep and the other is 21' 2". The width is 20' 6" at its widest. I thought it would be great. After having it, I'd really just call it a glorified 2 1/2 car garage. If you wanted to do nothing but store stuff in it or only wanted to store 2 cars, I guess it'd be OK. But wanting tool boxes, a workbench and basic storage takes a lot of possibilities away. I guess you could get three cars and the rest of the stuff in there. If the third car was a Prius or SmartCar, maybe - but not an 80's GM car. If you have the land and can float it financially, GO BIGGER, sir. I guess you can never really have too much garage, right?

Ummm, you said you are going to park your car for the winter, right? Jack it up and put jackstands under it. Takes the load off the suspension and should gain enough clearance, clarence.
Make sure to hang a tennis ball from the ceiling ( to touch your wifes car windshield ) so your wife knows when to stop.
Yeah, I had it on car dollies, so the front bumper could not have been any further forward. My last jack stands were donated to the scrapper before I moved and I haven't picked up any new ones yet. Good tip on the tennis ball. I had those at my first house. I found some cool rubber bumper parking blocks that seem to work better for my wife. Although, you can't trip over a tennis ball hanging from a string. :mad: Not to say that I've tripped - but you could. :rage:I guess there's something to say for an actual physical obstruction on the floor. She parks much better now!

I just realized I didn't answer your question. It's a three car tandem, so the tandem side is 32' 6" deep and the other is 21' 2". The width is 20' 6" at its widest. I thought it would be great. After having it, I'd really just call it a glorified 2 1/2 car garage. If you wanted to do nothing but store stuff in it or only wanted to store 2 cars, I guess it'd be OK. But wanting tool boxes, a workbench and basic storage takes a lot of possibilities away. I guess you could get three cars and the rest of the stuff in there. If the third car was a Prius or SmartCar, maybe - but not an 80's GM car. If you have the land and can float it financially, GO BIGGER, sir. I guess you can never really have too much garage, right?