The new WB O2?

BM Computer Src

I remember reading on here a short time ago, about a new hand held unit w/big LCD that was also capable of datalogging RPM's as well as downloadable to the laptop... It was priced cheap, like $200-$300, but I have been unable to find it by searching. Anyone remember who this new product is made by???

Thanks
Bob

Here ya go:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95961

I e-mailed the designers of this setup with questions about the sensitivity of the sensor to leaded race fuel. I was told that the sensor they list in their site that is designed to be used with this setup will not hold up to leaded fuel for very long. The sensor is VERY cheap (about $35), but it sounds to me like it will foul out as quickly as a stock Delco O2 for our cars.

The most cost effective commercial WB at the moment is the FJO, IMO.
It uses the NTK sensor.

http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/

I had both the techedge 02 and the fjo tune my turbo cars. The two are really nice yet the costs are not even close.

The bosch sensor that is now used with the tech edge is supposed to be very accurate and it is cheap. I would have to say with the new logging software, and the price, that the techedge is the one to go with.

The FJO is more readily available and they are here in the states so that does make a convience difference.

Originally posted by DR.BOOSTER
http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/

I had both the techedge 02 and the fjo tune my turbo cars. The two are really nice yet the costs are not even close.

The bosch sensor that is now used with the tech edge is supposed to be very accurate and it is cheap. I would have to say with the new logging software, and the price, that the techedge is the one to go with.

The FJO is more readily available and they are here in the states so that does make a convience difference.

TE, LOL.
You can afford to be cheap when you cash in on other's design work.

The DIY-WB that he copied, was meant as to be an educational devise, as well as a non lab grade unit for the home tuner. An accurate toy if you will. In his rebadging of it he neglects to mention that. Not to mention going with marginal trace designs etc..

I am not aware of what Tech Edge has done in the past, can you fill me in?

But at those prices, and seeing that they are in Australia, it is definitely possible that they copied something and will not get burned due to them being in a different country.

Originally posted by DR.BOOSTER
I am not aware of what Tech Edge has done in the past, can you fill me in?

But at those prices, and seeing that they are in Australia, it is definitely possible that they copied something and will not get burned due to them being in a different country.

Visit the DIW-WB.COM site.
Then read the agreement, and look at the schematics.

The DIY-WB was a DIY-EFI.ORG project that took years to do. A huge effort was made by a small group of folks. All as just a random act of kindness, all that was asked was the info wouldn't be used for profit. TE broke that agreement, plan and simple.

It's really sad to see someone mess up so much for so many people. What's often overlooked is they not only killed the WB but the release of several other projects. The WB was intended as just first step. Well, actually the second, the first being Programming 101.

So while in the short run TE was able to cash in and get away with making a few bucks, they cut the heart out of some really meaningful DIY projects.

There is no possible, involved, you can read thru the archives at DIY-EFI and get the full and complete story. Other then the of list emails where TE told of their plans, knowing they were in violation of the agreement.

I've tried to order two DIY WB kits and haven't heard any response to my emails or anything.

I went to the web site and followed the directions and haven't heard a word ... any tips?

Originally posted by kenmosher
I've tried to order two DIY WB kits and haven't heard any response to my emails or anything.

I went to the web site and followed the directions and haven't heard a word ... any tips?

Just have to wait and try again.

They're rather slow.

My two kits were incomplete and it took almost a month to get the rest of the pieces.

Same goes with the board request form. I emailed the address listed on the site for help and finally got a price listing mailed to me.

If you need a board Ken I have an extra PCB, I'll sell it to for what it cost. No problem. Can have it out tomorrow.

Thanks Jeremy!

I'll take it! You can send it to

Accelerate Performance Products
attn: Ken Mosher
3702 Automation Way
Suite 101
Fort Collins, CO 80526

That way it doesn't get stolen off my porch (long story).

Tell me where to send the $$ and how much?

Thanks!

Originally posted by kenmosher
Thanks Jeremy!

I'll take it! You can send it to

Accelerate Performance Products
attn: Ken Mosher
3702 Automation Way
Suite 101
Fort Collins, CO 80526

That way it doesn't get stolen off my porch (long story).

Tell me where to send the $$ and how much?

Thanks!

OK Ken. Let me check and see what the price is and shipping and stuff. I'll e-mail you with the info and send the piece out!

Ken,

You realize that the L1H1 sensors the diy_wb uses have become quite pricey. The cheapest I've seen lately is $185 each. If you go to NAPA or some place similar they'll quote you a price around $300.

I have 2 boards and parts kits for the wb....and 2 boards and parts kits for the displays....just hoping that the price for the sensor will go down.

John

bruce,

I understand your point of view on this situation. Are you against all companies that make a stand-alone WBO2 setup? Or are you just against the companies that make a stand alone DIY WBO2 setup? Is it possible to make a stand-alone unit without breaking the agreement? It sounds to me like the TE group is currently "more active" in upgrading, expanding, and supporting their WBO2 products.

I am the type who does a lot of research, will find exactly what I want, and buy it if the price is fair.

I need a stand alone WBO2 that has a decent display that can be read easliy at WOT, has the ability to record to a laptop allowing me to graph the recorded readings, uses a sensor that will withstand leaded race fuel, and will keep overall cost at or below $300. I know its asking for a lot, but the DIY stuff keeps cost down and since I have a family member with several years of electrical experience I can make it happen.

The TE now uses the Bosch LSU4 sensor with can be purchased for as low as $35. Thats quite a difference compared to the $185 (now $300) NTK sensor.

I have no real world experience using a WBO2 which is why I have been doing so much research. I have posted a few questions on here about WBO2's and never seem to get a direct answer. I need contact information, prices, pictures, details, etc. Not just a reply stating "the XYZ setup works".

If you feel the FJO is a good, cost effective WBO2, then please post why and some details about it. Does it have a readable display? Can you data log? Is there a DIY kit availilbe? Thank you for your time.

DR.BOOSTER, what did you like better about the TE over the FJO? What was the cost difference? Did both have a display and did you data log with both?

Originally posted by AintGoinSlo
bruce,

I understand your point of view on this situation. Are you against all companies that make a stand-alone WBO2 setup? Or are you just against the companies that make a stand alone DIY WBO2 setup? Is it possible to make a stand-alone unit without breaking the agreement? It sounds to me like the TE group is currently "more active" in upgrading, expanding, and supporting their WBO2 products.

I am the type who does a lot of research, will find exactly what I want, and buy it if the price is fair.

I need a stand alone WBO2 that has a decent display that can be read easliy at WOT, has the ability to record to a laptop allowing me to graph the recorded readings, uses a sensor that will withstand leaded race fuel, and will keep overall cost at or below $300. I know its asking for a lot, but the DIY stuff keeps cost down and since I have a family member with several years of electrical experience I can make it happen.

The TE now uses the Bosch LSU4 sensor with can be purchased for as low as $35. Thats quite a difference compared to the $185 (now $300) NTK sensor.

I have no real world experience using a WBO2 which is why I have been doing so much research. I have posted a few questions on here about WBO2's and never seem to get a direct answer. I need contact information, prices, pictures, details, etc. Not just a reply stating "the XYZ setup works".

If you feel the FJO is a good, cost effective WBO2, then please post why and some details about it. Does it have a readable display? Can you data log? Is there a DIY kit availilbe? Thank you for your time.

TE is the one I have problems with and that's only since I don't support piracy.

I have about 2 years and 20+K miles on my DIY-WB. The last one I bought was 169. 168 divided by 20,000 drops the cost per mile down to about 0. You can worry about long term or short term. Long term the price of the sensor vs potent damage to an engine is nothin.....

I've wasted money on crappe that didn't work, and I'm not qualified as an EE to do a product review, but what I can say with a high level of certianty is that between me and a few others we've tried several WBs, and the FJO was reported as having the electronics correct. The important part is the heater for the sensor. I've had a commmercial WB kill a sensor in 30 days of normal driving because the heater SEEMED to be of a poor design.

Personally I use the DIY-WB, and a Bruce Roe Display.
If I want to datalog then I use Lockers.

I'm sure Bruce will get back to ya. He was in Columbus, OH today at GN ERGY's cookout. Good to see Bruce as usual and we all had a good time.

After speaking with him I also am interested, hey Bruce give us the heads up yo!