the last Grand National -- history??

twizz

i was reading through my GN book by Stephen Dove as I like to do every month or so, and was reminded of the story of the last Grand National ever produced.

In short, the story is very sentemential. The last GN produced was also the last rear wheel drive regal, last rwd buick coupe, the last car built at the Pontiac plant, and the last 'G-body car every produced. A lot was behind the car, and if anyone would like me to post the whole story, then I will.

The purpose of this thread was to inquire if anyone has ever heard anything on this car. The story of its assembly was written by Bob Colvin, who's family owned a Buick/Chevy/Olds/GMC dealership in Springhill, Louisana, Springhill Motors. I have listed the vin below if it helps.

TIA

Produced on December 11, 1987, the last 'G' car produced was a Buick Grand National VIN # 1G4GJ1179HP465288.

Do a search on this board for Last GN or the vin# that you mentioned .There a a couple interesting threads about that car.Somebody was selling a different GN and said it was the last GN made.

If you would either post the story or send it to me through e-mail I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Brian

if you do a search for the VIN i listed in the first post, three threads will come up. the 2nd one (the one under this one), offers a GREAT discussion about the 'last GNs' produced.

there is actually 2 'last GNs.' The one with the VIN i listed, which was the last car produced at pontiac, and the last gn offered for retail sale, and then their is the one with the next sequential VIN number (89), and a different check digit. this one was won by someone, and was offered for sale for 150k. yea, right.

I remember reading something about the last GN ever built a long time ago. The people on the assembly line signed inside the rear quarter panel. If you would like to post it or e mail it to me I would greatly appreciate it and I'm sure a lot of other people would TOO.:) Thanks a lot.
Tarey D.
GN ERGY@AOL.com

from what i understand their is a dispute between Bob Colvin and a Buick employee from the plant where the GN's were made who actually won the last "assembled" GN by a factory contest. its all about who has the right to say that they have "the last GN"
somewhere is a link to a news article that better describes the dispute, anybody here have that link?

sinster, you the have the dispute right, but flipped the sides. Bob Colvin bought the last grand national offered for retail sale. his vin was 88. the plant employee, named Lawrence Morgan, won the last grand national by VIN# (89). technically, morgan's GN was the 2nd to last assembled, but by VIN is technically the last one made. it was about the 5th to last G car to be assembed. Colvin's car, by direction of the plant manager was the last GN assembled, and the last g car assembled, as well as the last car produced at pontiac. for those of you wondering, the 2nd to last car assembled was a monte ls.

if you do a search for the VIN i posted above, you can get the link to the article of the two. colvin still has his car, morgan attempted to sell his for $150,000. yes one hundred and fifty thousand real american money. off his rocker.

What about the 88 MC SS??

Ever since I read Dove's book and the article about the "last G car produced" I've wondered: Isn't the Monte Carlo a G body? What about the 1988 Monte Carlo SS? Wouldn't a 1988 MC, rear wheel drive, be later??

Remember that the 1987 model year was an extended run thru the end of December. Chevrolet merely called their extended production run a 1988 model. Identical to the 1987's. That's why there are such small production figures quoted for 1988 models such as Monte Carlos and El Caminos.

Where are the last two Grand Nationals today? Are they in private collections?