The great thing about IC'd conversions . .

Do you agree?

• Total voters
Wow, no wonder I can't get any help, everyone is on this thread. Anyhow, I'm going to leave my two cents. Having owned a ha and IC car, I enjoyed both of them and wouldn't hesitate to by another. I'm now the proud owner of my original GN I purchased in 1985. I've owned the car since. When the IC cars came out I was destined to "keep up with the big boys" so I purchased a spearco cooler. Over the years, I continued to dump money is this car but I never fully converted over. To me, this car was special, and so was the set up. I've saved every reciept on this car, and have over $ 60,000 in my ride. Yes, that's right, 60 ginos.. I could've easily saved money and produced more HP by changing completely over, but it was more fun and challenging to make my 85 faster.

I learned a lot from many on this forum (special thanks to Brian and Brent). To me, it's all about being a turbo regal fanatic. It doesn't matter if you have a IC or HA car, you're a turbo regal fan and we need to help each other out, regardless of your set up. I don't see GS fans bash each other because they have a different cubic inch engine, nor have I ever been ridiculed when I was in a camaro club with a different motor.

Everyone is correct in their thoughts, and I feel Jerryls passion about the HA cars, I share the same. I would think we can channel all this energy in convincing the young lad to keep his HA set up and tweaking it to achieve his goals. So, in my opinion, do what you want to your car, as long as you keep it a V6 with a windmill.

I do agree with Jerryl and others as well- I personally like the 84 for the Lier Siegler interior. Have I thought of converting to a IC car- yes. I am trying to get the most from my car with some mild mods without converting to a intercooler. If I had the money I would buy a 87 GN and put a Lier Siegler interior in it and have the option of more available mod parts, etc.

To simplify things- I have added the conversion parts list to my Junkyard donor list with related HA to IC links- so if anyone asks send them to post #18 here-

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/junkyard-dogs/295169-junkyard-parts-donor-list.html

This is Jerry Berger Senior: If you take away all the post about modifications and hot air conversion; this section of the board could be put in retirement. There would not be a whole lot of post made. The point about Lee and the others that have ran really fast times is good; but how many average guys can afford are understand whats needed to run those times. Not many. They are a handful, and they are way above what the average guy can even dream of doing.I quess if you dont want your car to go faster just leave it bone stock; but whats the point? Thats all Iam done. Jerry Berger Sr.

WOW! You don't put to many comments on Jerry. I agree completely about figuring out how to make a HA car do better. It really does take time and a lot of research to do it. Most people are lazy and want results now from whatever mod they do and a HA doesn't really do it easily. It really does take someone dedicated to making the cars work better to get the right numbers out of them.

You guys can always backpedel to the orginal turbo design the '78-'83 Carb/turbo. No rules for those, still hot air.
You guys have fun and take care out there.

LOL Adam, I agree completely with you my friend.:biggrin:

I do agree with Jerryl and others as well- I personally like the 84 for the Lier Siegler interior. Have I thought of converting to a IC car- yes. I am trying to get the most from my car with some mild mods without converting to a intercooler. If I had the money I would buy a 87 GN and put a Lier Siegler interior in it and have the option of more available mod parts, etc.

To simplify things- I have added the conversion parts list to my Junkyard donor list with related HA to IC links- so if anyone asks send them to post #18 here-

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/junkyard-dogs/295169-junkyard-parts-donor-list.html

I've thought of doing an IC conversion myself Mark, but I'd rather make my mark with what I've got.:eek: You guys need to look at how far these cars have gone from the original design and see how far it can take us all. The IC guys have it easy compaired to us but we can show them what you can do if you use your mind instead of a catalog and someone elses ideas. It isn't a simple bolt on, it requires you to think after all.

My point exactly

I've thought of doing an IC conversion myself Mark, but I'd rather make my mark with what I've got.:eek: You guys need to look at how far these cars have gone from the original design and see how far it can take us all. The IC guys have it easy compaired to us but we can show them what you can do if you use your mind instead of a catalog and someone elses ideas. It isn't a simple bolt on, it requires you to think after all.

Some people just don't get it. IF YOU ADD AN INTERCOOLER AND STILL KEEP THE STOCK HOT AIR CONFIGURATION "NEWS FLASH" LESS ALL THE PLUMBING YOUR STILL A HOT AIR!!!!!I don't think this thread is directed at you. Some people just don't see the light in front of them, alky C02, nos, propane, still has nothing to do with a conversion. So let me spell it out to you. An intercooler conversion is a complete change or so close to a complete change that it is irreversable and is no longer recognizable as a hot air. If your turbo is still mounted in the back and you have hot air headers, stock or modified, and stock accessory brackets chances are nobody that sees your car is going to call it an 86-87 turbo buick. So if you fully convert over to the newer set up you truly don't belong in the hot air forum because your no longer an 84-85 Turbo Buick. Maybe buy the vin but that's all. You add nothing to the community. So is that a little more clearer? I can almost vouch for this 100%, that out of the guys that have added an intercooler in stock configuration 80% are not any faster than the average modded Hot Air car with the proper tune. Sure some of you may instanly benefit from the cooler charge of the intercooler but after that you peak out just like the rest of us.

somebody's panties are in a wad

jerryl

I think you need to chill out dude.There will be how do i convert to I/C threads in the hot-air section as long as there are hot-air cars roaming the earth. Get over it!

The best way to handle it is to stay out of the post or just say do a search. It's that easy.

I have helped Esinger with his quest to run in the 7.70's range. it's not been all fun and games let me tell ya. It took him a few yrs to get there. but yes he has done it.

It really just boils down to what each person wants to do with there car!

Some people just don't get it. IF YOU ADD AN INTERCOOLER AND STILL KEEP THE STOCK HOT AIR CONFIGURATION "NEWS FLASH" LESS ALL THE PLUMBING YOUR STILL A HOT AIR!!!!!I don't think this thread is directed at you. Some people just don't see the light in front of them, alky C02, nos, propane, still has nothing to do with a conversion. So let me spell it out to you. An intercooler conversion is a complete change or so close to a complete change that it is irreversable and is no longer recognizable as a hot air. If your turbo is still mounted in the back and you have hot air headers, stock or modified, and stock accessory brackets chances are nobody that sees your car is going to call it an 86-87 turbo buick. So if you fully convert over to the newer set up you truly don't belong in the hot air forum because your no longer an 84-85 Turbo Buick. Maybe buy the vin but that's all. You add nothing to the community. So is that a little more clearer? I can almost vouch for this 100%, that out of the guys that have added an intercooler in stock configuration 80% are not any faster than the average modded Hot Air car with the proper tune. Sure some of you may instanly benefit from the cooler charge of the intercooler but after that you peak out just like the rest of us.

Never mind my comment. I didn't read your header.

The TurboBuick community is a VERY small one compared to most forums on the internet. The Hot-Air community is even smaller. Since some of us have been members here since the board was created we have all had the same question asked over and over again. Remember...everyone is in a different spot with their car...I think its nice if someone needs help and is open to asking...If we can prevent someone from making a mistake we did in the past it makes it all worth it!

I think we should focus our attention on helping each other. The 86/87 guys do not have a clue how to convert a Hot-Air car to an IC car. It would be great when a member posts and you have knowledge on the subject to share it...that is how we learn..If your tired of answering the question or have nothing positive to share.......don't post.

This Hot-Air section of the board is too small to be worrying about little things like this...

I believe there’s a common misconception out there of Turbo Regals. Since people see us flying down the dragstrip at very respectable ETs, then all they think that they have to do is buy a TR and do a few simple mods and they are running 10s and 9s all day long.

The seeming logical thing to do for a Hot Air is just bolt on an Intercooler and its instant 10’s all day long. Well that just isn’t happening! I’ve now been around both HA and IC cars enough to know getting to the 10’s isn’t going to just fall into your lap.

Just converting a Hot Air to an 86/87 setup isn’t going to instantly get anyone to super quick ETs. They still have to go down the same road that the 86/87s have go to get those numbers.