The exhaust saga continues,anyone used a x pipe muffler?

turboterror

So Im looking for a muffler that wont drone too bad and prefer it to go in the stock location. Ive had alot of good input and I noticed a muffler in a summit catalog that might work. Its a duel inlet/outlet thats reversible. Of course its a transverse style so it will work in the stock location.Its the dynomax ultro flo
x muffler.Its 123.00 in the catalog, have any of you used this? If so what does it sound like? Im curious, if any of you have a good used exhaust youd like to sell feel free to pm me. Thanks

Flowmasters are the worst option for these cars. Flow I believe is 480 cfm ultra flos is 1000+ cfm

Flowmasters are the worst option for these cars. Flow I believe is 480 cfm ultra flos is 1000+ cfm
Yes you are in fact correct, Im am tempted to go ahead and order one. I wonder what it will sound like, I was leaning towards a hooker system till I saw this one in the catalog

They sound great, very quiet at idle, and, while normal crushing sound like an open pipe at full throttle.

What is the part number of the one you're thinking of?
There is a version where the pipes cross inside the muffler case and from what I've read in one thread you don't want to use these at all because the gases collide with each other since they are traveling in opposite directions.

ks

I'll have to dig through some receipts, I've never had the third muffler though, soooo.

The one Im looking at is wlk 17553, Maybe L8TRH8R can shed some more light on the subject. It appears for it to work that if one inlet was the top on one side the oultet on the other side has to be the bottom, or vice versa. Im going to crawl under mine and see how the inlets and outlets are on my stock one

Yes, do not run flowmasters on a turbo car. Save them for a low performance car you want to make sound good. turboterror do you know if you still have the stock pipes under the car?

Yes well kind of, One of the tail pipes has fallen off but I have it. It appears to have the factory exhaust still on it.

The one Im looking at is wlk 17553, Maybe L8TRH8R can shed some more light on the subject. It appears for it to work that if one inlet was the top on one side the oultet on the other side has to be the bottom, or vice versa. Im going to crawl under mine and see how the inlets and outlets are on my stock one

From what I read based on the below quote that's the one you do not want to use if you want a free flowing exhaust:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17553/

The "X" muffler will NOT work. It will cause the two inlets to smash into each other. You need the standard dual pass cross flow muffler if installed in the stock location.
I have the Magnaflow "X" muffler on my car now. I will soon be changing to the three muffler system. (because it drones pretty bad.) I bought the muffler thinking it was the non-"X" design, but when I opened the box I was disappointed. I ended up using it anyway, by using it as a 3" single shot deal. I Y'd the 3" single into the muffler and brought two 2.5" pipes out over the rear end out the passenger side qtr. panel. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/194545-new-exhaust-system.html

If you don't care about getting the most flow from the system then it could probably work.

ks

From what I read that's the one you do not want to use if you want a free flowing exhaust:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17553/

If you don't care about getting the most flow from the system then it could probably work.

ks
Well I def want the most flow but it seems that there isnt alot of the tranverse type mufflers to choose from. Im really looking to maintain maximum ground clearance hence me wanting a muffler to mount in the stock location. If it isnt feasible to run one I may also consider a dual system but then thats really prone to drone at highway speed.

What kind of ground clearance problem do you have, or are trying to avoid? Is the car lowered that much?

Bryan

Oh no not very much. I didnt want it to look stupid so its only some,not enough to look like those idiots with their slammed imports that bounce around. I didnt know how much a dual muffler setup might hang down.

Oh no not very much. I didnt want it to look stupid so its only some,not enough to look like those idiots with their slammed imports that bounce around. I didnt know how much a dual muffler setup might hang down.

Here is mine, hard to get a pic in the dark but it does tuck very nicely. IMAG0307.jpg

My car is lowered and with the two muffs under the car they tuck up nicely like his. There shouldn't be any issues with doing that.
In fact my IC scoop is the lowest part of the car.

ks

no thats not bad, what kind of setup were you running again?

Pypes 2.5" stainless with Dynomax VT mufflers. Brian at Gbody ordered the Pypes exhaust for me without their mufflers and got the Dynomax VT's for me. I am very pleased with the fit and the sound, but mostly the lack of drone.

Bryan