The 2004 “BIG GUN SHOOTOUT”

tweaked2

The 2004 GSCA boasted the largest collection of FAST Buicks ever assembled in one event.
NO other event in the world has had as many fast Buicks at one place.

The 2004 “BIG GUN SHOOTOUT” was started to showcase all of the FAST BUICKS.

Congratulations to ALL of the participants. They are truly the BADDEST, FASTEST Buicks in the land.

Congratulations to the CHAMPIONS -
Will & Tori Wilkerson for their outstanding win in Tweaked. Will had to overcome many problems. His performance level continued to improve, with a little tweaking. A win well deserved.

Congratulations to Kent Rudbeck (7.60), John Galina (8.18) and Rod Hendrickson (8.0’s) and Chris White (8.3’s). They were tearing up the asphalt. BUT … the good traction and favorable conditions took their toll. All of the above either could not make the qualifying rounds or had to be replaced by an alternate. Congrats to them for their outstanding performance.

Many thanks to the GSCA Management, Beech Bend Crew, sponsors, and the participants for an outstanding event and very successful “BIG GUN SHOOTOUT”.

NUMBER ONE[1] QUALIFIER
Billy Anderson set the event (and WORLD) standard with a blistering string of mid 7-second/180+ MPH runs but alas … the duct tape & RED EYE took its toll in the 1st round.

NUMBER TWO [2] QUALIFIER
John Galina, the current NHRA SS/DX Record Holder, had the smallest motor and the MOST HP/CI of the competition but hurt the converter during the last qualifying round. He was unable to make 1st round eliminations. Congratulations to the Galina crew for a truly outstanding weekend.

NUMBER THREE [3] QUALIFIER
Chris White startled everyone with EASY 8.30 runs ON a 10.5” TIRE!!! Truly impressive performance but WAY too much power for his wimpy powerglide to handle. They will be a force in the Outlaw 10.5 venue.

NUMBER FOUR [4] QUALIFIER
Jim Rock was very consistent and fast with his beautiful purple twin-turbo GN/T. Handling issues kept him on his toes.

NUMBER FIVE [5] QUALIFIER – 2004 “BIG GUN” CHAMPION
Will Wilkerson, the 2004 “Big Gun Shootout” CHAMPION, brushed TWO[2] years of cobwebs off “Tweaked” to compete in the event. After several “engineering opportunities”, Will was able to overcome ignition, boost control and torque converter issues to put together consistent 8.20’s to outlast the competition.

NUMBER SIX [6] QUALIFIER
Ricardo Costa was very consistent and fast with his beautiful Black & Gray twin-turbo GN/T. A very beautiful and fast piece.

NUMBER SEVEN [7] QUALIFIER
Allen Liverman was getting faster each run. His beautiful “YELLOW” GN/T was a crowd favorite. Very beautiful and fast.

NUMBER EIGHT [8] QUALIFIER
Jerry Chambers had one of the most unique pieces at the Nats. His BB BLOWN Buick was stuffed into his Skyhawk “Superdog”. The “Dog” had a mild tune all weekend but it was still too much for the U-Joints. Jerry broke a U-Joint during Super-16 eliminations and was unable to make the final round call.

NUMBER NINE [9] QUALIFIER – ALTERNATE 1
Jim Dotson came in early to participate in the “Big Gun Shootout”. The change in plans was worthwhile. Jim replaced John Galina in round 1 but boost control and handling problems prevented him from running at his normal “FAST” level. He also had to do some OUTSTANDING driving to avoid the guardrails during eliminations. He is always at the top of the ladder and will be back.

NUMBER TEN [10] QUALIFIER – ALTERNATE 2
Stan Zeurecha campaigns one of the most pristine GS BB racecars at the event. His hi-8 second rounds were very impressive. Stan replaced Chris White in Round 1 due to trans problems.

HONORABLE MENTION – MATCH RACE
Rod Hendrickson hurt his AWESOME BLOWN BB Skyhawk early in the week and was unable to qualify for the “Big Gun Shootout”. After replacing head gaskets he qualified for Super 16 and proceeded to put together a string of very impressive 8.0 – 8.1 runs. Rod accepted the match race challenge from Tweaked after Superdog destroyed his U-joint. Rod won the race with an easy 8.16 to Tweaked’s spinning 8.25 run. A very exciting finale to the 1st Annual “Big Gun Shootout”.

2004 GSCA
“BIG GUN SHOOTOUT”
TOP TEN[10] QUALIFIERS

1 BILLY ANDERSON 7.59 @ 181.42
2 JOHN GALINA 8.18 @ 164.67
3 CHRIS WHITE 8.30 @ 166.81
4 JIM ROCK 8.42 @ 167.66
5 WILL WILKERSON 8.43 @ 155.47
6 RICARDO COSTA 8.58 @ 162.78
7 ALLEN LIVERMAN 8.67 @ 156.84
8 JERRY CHAMBERS 8.74 @ 155.44
9 JIM DOTSON 8.93 @ 143.76
10 STAN ZEURECHA 8.98
MATCH RACE ROD HENDRICKSON 8.07

2004 GSCA “BIG GUN SHOOTOUT” SPONSORS

CONLEY’S PERFORMANCE PLUS
KERENY DOORS
QUAD- AIR
CASPER ELECTRONICS
HR PARTS N STUFF
RON’S CUSTOM AUTOMOTIVE
GROOMS ENGINES – NASHVILLE, TN
ATR – APPLIED TECHNOLOGY & RESEARCH
M.V.P PRESS BOX [Sub-Sponsor]

CAN YOU RUN WITH THE BIG GUNS?

Conley’s Performance Plus INC. is excited to announce that they will help you find out at the 2005 GS Nats.

Start getting ready for the 2005 “BIG GUN SHOOTOUT”.

Who will be one of the TEN[10] BADDEST BUICKS in 2005.
RULES: GSCA Member, Buick Powered & Doors

NOTE: We have pics of the participants coming.

Have a nice day.

LC

I think it was a great idea to have this Big Gun Shootout and bring all of the fastest Buicks together.... I'm glad to hear that next year at BG we will also see this showcase of the baddest Buicks in the land again:) :cool:

Thanks for the kind words and for putting on a great show. We had fun and that is what it is all about.

Congratulations on the win!

:)

the big gun shootout was the great addition to the event. i would like to take the time to say thanks for a job well done. i tip my hat to all who competed, and thanks for bringing those monsters to the show. also please give many of us the honor of watching you guys do it next year.

Great idea and a plus to the Nats, that all enjoyed. It was a showcase of the fast.

It was sweet. On Wed and Thursday, when I was there, it was worth in it itself to watch. With a few changes I need to make I can't forsee a problem (aside from breaking) that I shouldn't make that event and qualify.

Nice meeting you Lawrence and nice golf cart.

Hey:)

Did anyone happen to get some pictures of the shoot out race with Rod and Will??

Being just Rod and myself this year I didn't get any pictures :(

Will- did the photo's at the end of the track turn out that your wife took?? If so, do you think I could get a copy. It's not often Rod will sit still for a picture. Plus it was a race for the scrap book. Looking forward to next year! Happy racing

Danie'

Originally posted by Blown455
Hey:)

Did anyone happen to get some pictures of the shoot out race with Rod and Will??

Being just Rod and myself this year I didn't get any pictures :(

Will- did the photo's at the end of the track turn out that your wife took?? If so, do you think I could get a copy. It's not often Rod will sit still for a picture. Plus it was a race for the scrap book. Looking forward to next year! Happy racing

Danie'

Click this link....

http://www.thedinosaurgang.com/satmain4.htm

and scroll down and you should see a pretty good pic of the race....

HTH:)

Pics of Rod & Will

Hi Danie.

Send us an email ...
conley@wt.net and we will forward youi some pics.

Great racing fun.

Be sure to get ready for the 2005 BIG GUN SHOOTOUT!

Have a nice day.

LC

I guess Rod would fall into the big gun class as far as V8's go. We're planing on being there.

Any Big Guns planning to be in Reynolds, Ga this November and suck in the cool air.

2004 Southeast Musclecar Challenge (SMC), November 5-6, Silver Dollar Raceway, Reynolds, GA

Originally posted by Bobtempest
Any Big Guns planning to be in Reynolds, Ga this November and suck in the cool air.

2004 Southeast Musclecar Challenge (SMC), November 5-6, Silver Dollar Raceway, Reynolds, GA

Does it actually get "cool" in Ga.?

Originally posted by EightSecV6
Does it actually get "cool" in Ga.?

Heck yea! The weather has been super nice the last few years; usually it'll be cool at night and warm up during the day.