TH400 Whine

kolb02

Hey guys, I have a th400 in my turbo buick. The other day I started the car and all I hear is a whining noise from the tranny/converter area. It goes away after about 5min of warming up and wont come back till the car sits along time and gets cold. fluid level is good and a new filter and fluid was installed a couple weeks ago. Whats up with this thing? is the converter bad?

Is it fixed line pressure (Manual VB/transbrake) ? Most likely from the pump and is not uncommon in really cold temperatures. The whine can sometime be because of plugged filter or drawing air or simply the pump clearances are a little sloppy. It may not be anything to worry about but keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse.

AG.

No, just a regular Th400. No TB or MV. It never did it before in colder temps. It started a few days after the filter and fluid was changed.

No, just a regular Th400. No TB or MV. It never did it before in colder temps. It started a few days after the filter and fluid was changed.
Did you remove the suction tube ? Its possible one of the 0-rings could have gotten pinched or not reinstalled. What filter did to use, brass of felt ? The brass will be more free flowing and could help this type of issue.
AG.

I used the felt I think. My buddy that is good with trannys helped me. He said he double o ringed the pickup tube.

I used the felt I think. My buddy that is good with trannys helped me. He said he double o ringed the pickup tube.
The double o-ring is common and will be OK. If its an auto shift are you using a vacuum modulator or the mechanical type ?
AG.

It's got the vacuum modulator on the side. I picked up a screen type filter for it too.

I'm just wondering if the vacuum line got pulled of or leaking making it go to full pressure. To be honest I don't have a lot of experience with modulated pressure th400 but maybe worth giving it a second look to make sure it's hooked up with no cracks in the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk