TH400 build-pictures

don ,i think your not understanding me.we both know the circuits function.the grooves in the stator bushing will get the oil out of the converter faster in your application.no one here is arguing that the converter charge entrance needs to be smaller to reduce excessive charge pressure and the resultant elevated trans cooler pressure derived from it.as a matter of fact i would argue that if the converter feed hole is a given diameter that the amount of oil exiting isnt really a problem if the exit at the input shaft nose is the same diameter after pressures have been reduced by orificing,and enhanced with a grooved bushing if the converter isnt bushed.this restrictive condition at the input shaft woul actually reduce cooler pressure but raise internal pressure in the converter if we believe everything elkse presented.

I see your point Chris. With the orifice size I've been using, that problem has not come up. The area of the holes in the input shaft responsible for allowing fluid to exit the T/C are pretty large when compared to the feed orifice of 7/64". The more important thing to consider would be that the internal components in the torque converter don't present any flow restriction to any of the exit holes in the input shaft. Of course, grooving the front stator support bushing would be good insurance, but would still not make up for any blockage to flow by the internal components of the T/C.

The 1% increase in efficiency was calculated with with a data logs using a DS sensor. DA was calculated to be with in 22ft on the 2 passes. The mph increase also verified the findings. The efficiency change was only illustrated to show there was a change. The unit was built with that high line pressure. I didnt build it................:wink:

lazaris. Between these tests, did you lower line pressure? Or was the orifice size the only change?

The more line pressure you demand from the transmission pump, the more hp you eat up. The more hp lost in the drivetrain, the lower the mph. Hmmm. I think I'm going to go back to my transmission and lower the line pressure a little. :eek: :tongue:

Only run enough line pressure to keep friction elements reasonably long lasting. Anything more is wasting horsepower. The needed line pressure will be significant to the application.

I have to tell you about a phone call I got last week at the shop. This fellow had just had a crank thrust failure with his newly built 383 SBC. He's using a 400. Recently built also, if I remember correctly. He was wise enough to check his cooler line pressure before driving around. He noted 80 psi at high load. He called his tranny guy who told him, don't worry, go ahead and drive it. Guess what happened. The crank thrust soon failed. This person was searching the internet high and low looking for an answer to his situation. When he came across the threads here, he had the sense to realize, like a hammer knocking him in the head, that this was the answer. He called me to gather information to help him talk his tranny guy into doing the mod, even after printing out the thread he found on this site and presenting it to him.

I really couldn't add anything to what was already addressed in the thread except some names to go along with an example I had given and the conviction in my voice. He was saddened that he couldn't convince this fellow to do the mod. I've heard the same story over and over. A tranny builder that was hesitant to restrict converter feed. The claims against it are torque converter cavitation, low lube flow, overheating, not the way the factory meant it to be. I finally had to convince the fellow to tell him to do the mod no matter how the builder felt about it. I just hope the trans builder doesn't think he knows better and tells the poor guy he did the mod, but, actually didn't.

There is one thing that is true here, by reading this thread i have learned alot and it is all good thanks guys :cool:

DonWG wrote:
The more line pressure you demand from the transmission pump, the more hp you eat up. The more hp lost in the drivetrain, the lower the mph. Hmmm. I think I'm going to go back to my transmission and lower the line pressure a little. :eek: :tongue:

I've wondered about taking a 400 or 350 and removing most of the return springs in the intermediate & direct clutches, then using a weaker PR spring. This would reduce pump power loss; BUT, ONLY on straight 1/4 mile racing. The fewer return springs would lead to horrid overlap on the street during manual shifting (to say nothing of a killer reverse engagement), so no one try this there!
:biggrin:

Yes, converter ballooning goes down with lower pressure, as long as you have enough flow to prevent cavitation or lube starvation to the rest of the trans.

lazaris. Between these tests, did you lower line pressure? Or was the orifice size the only change?

Only run enough line pressure to keep friction elements reasonably long lasting. Anything more is wasting horsepower. The needed line pressure will be significant to the application.

On that test the only change was the orifice size.

On that test the only change was the orifice size.
So you went from what orifice size and cooler line pressure... to what orifice size and cooler line pressure, and had a 1% increase in T/C efficiency?

What was the line pressure you were using with these tests?

So you went from what orifice size and cooler line pressure... to what orifice size and cooler line pressure, and had a 1% increase in T/C efficiency?

What was the line pressure you were using with these tests?

3/32" to 9/64" 165psi main line for both.

th400 build

guys dont spend the money.i have them in stock for 19.00.call in tomorrow.

Chris I will be calling for one of those snap ring stabilizers and want to check availability of your 2004r manuals.I also changed wave plate for steel plate in intermediate power pack and will turn snap ring 180 degrees after getting stabilizer.I plan on running the transgo shift kit 400-1-2.If anyone know of a better shift kit,feel free to chime in.Thanks..

p.s-who has the best deal on deep pans with pick/up tube?

Attachments

• tailhsng01.jpg
    tailhsng01.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,123
  • tailhsng02.jpg
    tailhsng02.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,100
That is a neat tailshaft.As for the shift kit there is no doubt the transgo kit will work for you.We sell a full bolt in valve body that has similar function as the tgo kit but has added features.It saves you the trouble of installing the kit in your original valve body for about the same price as the kit.It is a true manual automatic valve body.I would like to see the added mods the have for the pro kit.

You'll laugh chris.

The only thing different from the -2 kit to the pro kit is the addition of the 200-4r low/rev cup seals at the center support area of the 400. It's no big revelation!!!:biggrin: