Test Only Smog Test?

my1stgn

Are all our cars Test Only vehicles in Califonia? My registration is due and it says "Test Only" Site. Also I did a pre-test at work and the only thing that passed was the fuel cap! HC's, Co's and NOx where through the roof! I think its mostly because the TT chip I have. How much does the chip affect emissions? I think they are set to not use the EGR, correct me if Im wrong!
Car is moslty stock as far as emission stuff goes (ie cat, exhuast, ect) Anyone have any good tips on how to pass smog? Thanks! Remeber, its test only!

Are all our cars Test Only vehicles in Califonia? My registration is due and it says "Test Only" Site. Also I did a pre-test at work and the only thing that passed was the fuel cap! HC's, Co's and NOx where through the roof! I think its mostly because the TT chip I have. How much does the chip affect emissions? I think they are set to not use the EGR, correct me if Im wrong!
Car is moslty stock as far as emission stuff goes (ie cat, exhuast, ect) Anyone have any good tips on how to pass smog? And before people say "Just pay for an illegal smog and get it over with!" Let me know if you have anyone in the San Diego area to do this! Thanks! Remeber, its test only!

Did you get the emissions chip from TT?

Car is moslty stock as far as emission stuff goes (ie cat, exhuast, ect) Anyone have any good tips on how to pass smog? And before people say "Just pay for an illegal smog and get it over with!" Let me know if you have anyone in the San Diego area to do this! Thanks! Remeber, its test only!

Before I left KA, my GN's started getting hit with "test only", and I can't explain why, other than the general record of the T/R's being "not so good" or maybe their age, I don't know, but it's a pain in the butt. I always seemed to have more trouble getting through a test only station, than a regular one. You wont find an "illegal" test only station.
Your best bet would be to just get a known good smog chip and run it through. You'll need a good cat also. The limits on our cars their in San Diego was getting mind numbingly low even before I left about 5 years ago.

------------------------------------
I am sure that Gofstbuick will respond in this section as soon as he can, he might be away for the weekend. I have been on Test only on any turbo Buick that I have had within the last 7 years or so, maybe 8, and that includes 5 turbo Buicks. Unless you live in a very underpopluated area, you will be hit for test only. TT makes chips for this purpose, and you might want to give Lou Czarnota a call. He could also be in Vegas/Phoenix for the weekend races. Lou's cell is (949) 378-1590. Lou has resolved many a turbo Buick smog issue. HTH

smog

what ever you do, dont let it fail too many times or your done for. My 81 sport coupe barely passed, with a brand new cat on it. .1 away from failing, and its alot older. You might be better off finding somebody to smog it for you:rolleyes: because some times its cheaper than putting all stock stuff back on it.

You might be better off finding somebody to smog it for you:rolleyes: because some times its cheaper than putting all stock stuff back on it.

Problem is, in CA you can't do that when they call you up for test only. The Test Only stations are a completely different control structure and very tightly controled. You HAVE TO go to one.

Problem is, in CA you can't do that when they call you up for test only. The Test Only stations are a completely different control structure and very tightly controled. You HAVE TO go to one.
--------------------------------
This is my understanding also.

Well I ordered the TT Chip for Smog only and I also let him know its for California Smog. Speaking with som Smog techs, I was told certain years/models become Test Only Vehicles because they have shown a pattern of being "Gross Poluters" IE 87 Buick GN's. Thats why I was asking if anyone else had "Test Only" Smogs..... or the car could have been a Gross Poluter when I bought it, dont know. But Im thinking the chip wasnt designed to operate the EGR and thats why the car failed. I will definetly pre-test over and over until it finally passes, then Ill take it to a Smog Test Only place! Thanks for the replies!

But, You can go to your regular smog guy and have him do a pretest to make sure you are not too far out.

The problem is that the regular regal is lumped with TR because it is the same class of car. Even though most of us maintain our vehicles, as the population of our cars dwindles and other owners fail to maintain their non TR, we get lumped into High Emitter Profile (HEP). And when TR are not classed as HEP, sometimes there is random selection. If you live in an enhanced area, then you should almost always count on your car being required to go to test only. The only savin grace is that your car is eligible for repair assistance, meaning the state could subsidize up to $500 in repairs for failing emissions. Granted the vehicle must not be tampered. MosT emissions chips should resolve your issues and as long as your keep your vehicle in tune, you should also not have issues. TurboDave car has passed on all for as long as I can remember. Most recently, my car needed a cat to bring emissions down.

I ran my 87 t through a regular smog shop - not a gross polluter but even with a new cat it was still on the edge... Oh yeah, used a TTsmog chip.

BTW, I ran a early 90's truck through smog and came out as a gross polluter. I changed the 02, added some restore and fuel system cleaner and a full tank of regular 87 oct. Passed with nearly no emissions at all!! It was insane...