TE63 vs GT6152

Silentway

I currently have a GT6152 turbo and was thinking of changing to the TE63. My question is there much difference in hp?

how fast are you with the 6152?there is a power increase but beware the bigger you go you must have the supporting mods.

I currently have a GT6152 turbo and was thinking of changing to the TE63. My question is there much difference in hp?

I am currently preparing to make this change and will know what the skinny is very soon.
The 61-52e is "rated" at 650. The 63 is 680-690hp depending on where you get you info. All I know is this... The 63 hits WAY harder in 3rd than the 61.
Hopefully numbers to correlate this will follow soon. I am "expecting" a couple tenths at less boost. I have my 61 at 27, and am just not impressed. The converter swap made a marked differerence, but is speced for the 63.
I need to get the car to the track after the converter change, then the turbo swap is going down.

Brian

Brian I'll be curious what your results are. I have been impressed with the 6152 more than I ever thought I would be. Back when I bought it, all I wanted was to go 120 mph in the 1/4. And it surprised me with 124 in my car and 126 in my dads. Both cars do have heads/cam though. Keep us posted on what kinda difference you see.

Brian I'll be curious what your results are. I have been impressed with the 6152 more than I ever thought I would be. Back when I bought it, all I wanted was to go 120 mph in the 1/4. And it surprised me with 124 in my car and 126 in my dads. Both cars do have heads/cam though. Keep us posted on what kinda difference you see.
It surprised you because very few on here can run the number with one. They think they need more turbo when they really dont. Good job.

what kind of boost JD, im running 119 w/ 26lbs. im going to turn it up a little next sunday. I think my dutt. neck i/c may be holding me back allittle

It surprised you because very few on here can run the number with one. They think they need more turbo when they really dont. Good job.

I ran 11.10's @122+ with one of the first 61's that came out. 23#'s of boost, 101 gas, Extender alky chip and a worn out 9x11 convertor that was slipping 18%+. Thought a TE67 would make me go way faster but that was definitely not the case for me. That same 61 has been on two cars of good friends and it ran about the same time last year at the Noble Shootout for a win.

I ran 11.10's @122+ with one of the first 61's that came out. 23#'s of boost, 101 gas, Extender alky chip and a worn out 9x11 convertor that was slipping 18%+. Thought a TE67 would make me go way faster but that was definitely not the case for me. That same 61 has been on two cars of good friends and it ran about the same time last year at the Noble Shootout for a win.

Nice. You would have been 125 or so if the converter wasnt being driven over so bad. I went 124+mph with a PT54 which is very close but with a 69 trim ex back in the late 90's. It was one of the first Precision released for sale. Fwiw i just went 122+ with a real old school PT61 with a garrett .63 on it and the ambient air was over 90* Calc alt was 3800'+. Weight was over 3650. Boost was 26-27psi

This was in October and temps were in the low 50's. Car weighed 3680 with me in it. Got a good 60' of 1.55 if I remember correctly.

Going to get the car to the track this coming Friday. Finally got the boost creep solved, replaced a 10 year old coil pack and put in new set of Autolite 23R's. Will find out in the next few weeks just what the 6265 will do.

Phil Engle

I'm hoping to push the GT6152E to 126+ mph in the next month or so. First track outing with the new engine was last weekend, and it ran 122.73 mph with a 1.8 60' on a fat tune and 20#. We'll see what she does next time out.

My buddy that buys my take off parts recently sold my 61 and went to a new model 61, think it is the 6152 from Precision. He made about 550 HP on a Mustang dyno last spring.

We're going to the track Friday night to see what the cars can do and get ready for the Buick Ford Shootout at Noble next month.

Finally got the boost creep solved,... Will find out in the next few weeks just what the 6265 will do.

Phil Engle

Hey Phil, if you don't mind me asking, how did you fix the boost creep? I look forward to hearing you results from the track.

Steve: What I understand was done is the hole was re-ported and channeled inside the turbine housing so the air flow could "bend" a little better. The puck sat very tight in the corner of the downpipe so most of the air flow went over the top of the puck and there was not a lot of room for it to go around one side and the bottom of the puck. Material was removed from the DP flange to open up the area around the bottom and one side of the puck so more air could flow completely around the puck. We also set the actuator rod a couple of turns from static and clipped a coil off the RJC boost controller spring so I had more than a couple of threads holding it together. It's pretty solid at 21#'s so I have lots of room to turn up the boost.

I just know it worked and I still have an internal gate along with a spare 1 3/8's and 1 5/8's puck.<G> I'm sure Jason has something I need that I can exchange these for.

Wish I had left my camera with Tracy so he could have taken some pictures.

Phil Engle

what kind of boost JD, im running 119 w/ 26lbs. im going to turn it up a little next sunday. I think my dutt. neck i/c may be holding me back allittle

both cars were 24-25 psi throughout their respective runs. the 126 mph car uses a 9/11 converter that is way to loose but it locks at WOT and it usually picks up 28-29 mph on the back half. The other car had a PTC 9.5 but my shifts were early after the converter swap so it wasn't an optimal run.