te44 or t49

1st.turbo.car

New to turbo buicks I have a 85 gn I'm in the process of conv over to a 87 gn motor with trw forged pistons erson cam and lifters hasting rings an other goodies and rebuilt heads I have a 2800 dynamic converter the best turbo for that converter would be the t49 or the te44 not sure some suggestions?

They seem to be essentially the same. The te44 flows a bit better but not enough to make a big difference. The ta49 appears stock looking so that may be something to consider if that's important to you. They're both good turbos for the street.

If your tranny can take it, throw a 6057 or 6262 on it. They all need around a 2800 stall. Then you wont run out of turbo and can add other items later. If the tranny is stock, get it some help.

Coach

49 or a 44 is a good choice for a stock headed engine with a 12" converter. Best bang for the $ turbos out there

Depends on your goals, but a TE44 with good supporting mods can be made to run very respectable times. How quick would you like your car to be?

Joe

Ive got a question maybe some one could answer.I have a 85 gn all stock and last year some crooks took her out for a joy ride.Now it smokes a little at start up.(valve seal i suspect )but i have a steady amount of white smoke when i rev up the engine.I havent really drove the car for years so i thought possibly there was a lot of moisture in the exaust so i drove around a bit and after an hour or so the exaust didnt seem to smoke but once i kicked in the turbo it started smoking again.Ive torn off the turbo,intake and next the heads.I figured ill start rebuilding it back but i want a better turbo but are there specific ones that fit hot air cars???

White smoke usually indicates water/coolant. Sounds like you may have a blown head gasket. Is your radiator overflow tank full of coolant, but your radiator low?

if its an 85 then a TA33 is the only bolt on available.

others can be had, if there of carbon seal and you dont mind modding and fabricating alot.

A.j.