te44 limits

russ87gn

I'm about ready to start my new combo ported heads 212 212 roller cam roller rockers rjc fmic 60lb injectors and a te44 I'm hoping to run mid 11s at around 22lbs is this accomplishable with the turbo I have or should I just upgrade now I also have a extreme auto stage 2 with a PTC 3000 stall nlu

you have all the parts to get you there. but I think you need to turn up the boost I say 25 or so and you should be mid 11s. I am NO expert.

I don't see a problem, put some race gas in it, with the proper chip of course, turn up the boost and let er rip tater chip...

I know I over simplified it, but you get the idea

With good heads and that cam, I'd think it's doable. I went 11.8 this past Sunday at 116mph on a 1.8x 60' at 22psi. I use stock heads that are port matched is all and a 208 flat tap bump stick. You may even get enough flow to do it 20lbs with a good hook.

Why the goal of 22psi though? Why not just run as much boost as you need to achieve your goal? Boost is just a number.

As far as limits go, I think a TE44 is done just over 120mph in the quarter in a full weight car.

I'd like to run 22 lbs or so just in case I need to go a little faster I don't ever plan on putting a bar in I do have razors dual nozzle injection I think turning it up won't be a problem

I'd like to run 22 lbs or so just in case I need to go a little faster I don't ever plan on putting a bar in I do have razors dual nozzle injection I think turning it up won't be a problem

Again, boost is just a number. Depending on how well your engine flows, you may maxx out a TE44 at 20psi or it could go to as high as 30psi if your engine does NOT flow well, but it'll make the same power regardless of what psi it runs out of steam. We put a stock turbo on a stroker once just to move it around and we ran it all out for fun and it wouldn't make over 15psi b/c the engine flowed well and the turbo had no more flow to make any more psi. Same principle here.

You won't need a dual nozzle with a TE44 either and a single nozzle is easier to tune.

You should run low 11's at 22psi with the heads and cam as long as the intercooler isn't a restriction or ex flow isn't a problem. You could pick up a lot of power with more turbo if these restrictions arent there. You've increase the engines potential mass efficiency with the heads and raised the operating rpm with the cam. Assuming no restrictions that will equal quite a bit of power.

See my sig, I'm running a TA49 (same compressor wheel and turbine as your TE44), and I've gone mid-11's at 118 to 119 mph with 100-octane fuel. On my stock breathing engine, it took 25 psi to do this. Since your engine can swallow more air than mine (due to your cam and heads), you will require lower boost pressure to move the same amount of mass flow as my engine. Like Bison said, you're probably going to end-up at a boost pressure in the low-20's psi to get the same MPH.

If you really want to get technical, look at the compressor maps I posted in this thread: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/yet-another-which-turbo-thread-120-mph-goal.372945/

-See Post #8: With the TE44 (running about 50 lbs/min, almost 500 HP at the crank), your blue points will be below mine (you'll be running the same mass flow but at a lower pressure ratio). This means you will probably be running the turbo at a slightly lower efficiency level than where I'm running (if you extrapolate the lines). This means that you'll be heating-up the compressed air more than I am.

-See Post #11: With the TE60 (for example) that has the next bigger compressor wheel (60-1), your blue points will again be below mine (you'll again be running the same mass flow but at a lower pressure ratio). In this case, you will be running the turbo at a higher efficiency level than where I would be running with the same turbo. This shows the advantage of running the correct turbo matched to the correct engine hardware.

Bottom Line: The TE44 will get you to your goals, but it's not matched as well as it could be to your engine hardware.

Hope this helps.

I ran many mid 11"s with a TE-44 and blue tops, MJ extended intercooler, Champion iron heads, 3" TH down pipe and open exhaust. I was just over 20 lbs boost. When I ran the 11.08 at Norwalk I was at 22lbs.

Mike

Thanks for all the input I bought this setup from a friend less the turbo he bought Otto's Hurst olds and is gonna do a turbo L's swap I just wanted to keep the te44 to make it spool fast on the street but a couple buddys have some fast trucks I'd like to be able to keep close with if I have to I'll sell the 44 and step up to something more efficient but from what you guys say I'll be OK

Here are the limits of a te44. This is on Richard Clark's Mustang dyno. Converter unlocked with a Snow Performance alky kit. It's got 93 octane Exxon in the tank.. The engine has champion iron heads/intake, flat 208/208, eastern performance fm, lt1 maf, hooker cat back, restalled 12" converter. Notice that this car makes about 100hp new than other guys with the "newer" stuff. It will run low 11's/high 10's and boost response is instant.

Attachments

• image-3234149989.jpg
    image-3234149989.jpg
    488.1 KB · Views: 593
Went 11.48 @119 with home ported 6293 heads, 202/206 cam on pump gas with alky. 3910 lb lowered street car thru closed exhaust. Small 2600 converter and 235 drag radials. It took 25 pounds of boost with out of box Turbo tweak chip.
Good luck.
Bob

Bison, I'm assuming those are rear wheel numbers? With a 17% total drive train loss, that's low 500's HP at the crank, which is about low-50's lb per minute mass air flow, correct? That sounds like about the limit for that compressor wheel, I think, based on the map.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

mgmshar said:
Bison, I'm assuming those are rear wheel numbers? With a 17% total drive train loss, that's low 500's HP at the crank, which is about low-50's lb per minute mass air flow, correct? That sounds like about the limit for that compressor wheel, I think, based on the map.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Turbo Buick

Yes. That's rear wheel hp. The dyno used is a very conservative one that better simulates what power is being applied at the pavement and you are correct it's probably around 52-53 lbs/min. It's the most I've ever seen out of a te44.

Do you think this would have been doable with a stock intercooler with duttneck rather than the front mount?

Do you think this would have been doable with a stock intercooler with duttneck rather than the front mount?
Yes. Maybe a bit more boost but it'll do it. Alky makes the stock intercooler go pretty far with a dutt neck. I went 118mph with mine before going to the v4.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk