TE 44 vs 5857 jb

Harleyreb1

I have kinda narrowed it down to these two choices for a turbo upgrade. Current mods include 42lb inj, TT street Alky chip, Alky, 3" downpipe, test pipe with cutout, stock intercooler, 2400 12" ptc converter. 87 t-type, I want something just a little more than stock but must remain totally drivable. After my research i've come up with either a te 44 or 5857 jb, I guess my question is: Is the 5857($900) that much better than a te44($595) or anyone suggest another turbo to look at? Thanks in advance!

the 44 is hard to beat on stock motors.i personally would not spend the extra coin with potential power output so close.

te44

My combo is pretty much the same and I use a te44, It ripps very happy with it!!!!! I used the extra money for a wide band o2:)

the 5857 IS a TE 44, just uses the new numbering system. Exact same turbo basically

Isn't the 5857 with the new Billet wheel? So not sure you can say exact same turbo. Has anyone swapped TE44 for new 5857? If so, please let us know how the performance was different.

the 5857 IS a TE 44, just uses the new numbering system. Exact same turbo basically

Hate to correct you, but that's not a true statement.

I'm pretty sure the OP was referring to our Billet 5857 turbo, which is completely different than the cast 5857 turbo. The cast 5857 does use the same compressor wheel as the older TE44 does, but it has the HP57 turbine wheel, instead of the T-31 turbine wheel.

The TE44 uses a 58mm cast compressor wheel, and the T-31 turbine wheel. This turbine wheel measures 64.9mm inducer and 56.5mm excuder.
Compressor wheel measures 58mm inducer and 74mm exducer.

Our Billet 5857 uses our CEA billet compressor wheel that does have a 58mm inducer and 76mm exducer. HP57 turbine wheel measures 64.8mm inducer and 56.5mm exducer. It is a more efficient design than the older T-31 turbine wheel and spool up is faster.

The TE-44 was rated to support 565 flywheel hp when maxed out and the Billet 5857 is rated to support 605 flywheel hp when maxed out.

So, just to review:

Cast 5857 = same cast compressor wheel as the TE-44 and HP57 turbine wheel. Rated to support 570 flywheel hp when maxed out.

TE-44 = cast 58mm compressor wheel and a Garrett T-31 turbine wheel. Rated to support 565 flywheel hp when maxed out.

Billet 5857 = Billet CEA 58mm compressor wheel and the HP57 turbine wheel. Rated to support 605 flywheel hp when maxed out.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

IMO stay with the 44 for the extra $$$ you will not see much if any difference in the but dyno. Track yes when turned up.

FWIW: had a customer go from 6157 to billet 5857 and then back to his 49 cause he liked it's spool better. He feels the 49 spools faster than the billet 5857 with new technology;)

Id go with the 44 if you plan on keeping it under 23psi and id go with the 5857 if you plan on pushing it harder. The extra ex flow will help if you run it harder but will do nothing but lighten your wallet otherwise. If you went with heads and cam id definitely go with the 5857.

I run my TE44 to 25lbs regularly and I think it has a lot more in it yet. I'd run it to 28lbs if I could just drive my car better and make it worthwhile:biggrin:

i tied shut my wastegate on my TE-44 and it made 32psi with no intercooler, 28psi with the intercooler, made 440whp through an orange stripe converter

My 49 was at 30 plus, by accident, with a faulty boost controller.

:biggrin:

Patrick,

Do you have maps you can share of the 5857? Also, can the stock heat shield still be used?

Thanks,
Sean

Precision doesn't make compressor maps for their turbos. I already asked. ;)
Not sure if the stock heat shield fits with that turbo. Good question though.