TE-44 turbo lag

jghall6

I just installed a new TE-44 on my 87 GN and it spools up alot slower than my stock turbo did. I do have a small exhaust leak where the exhaust header attaches to the turbo (used new gasket). Is this my problem? I think I may have another exhaust leak on the left side header too. I have the orange stripe converter and a few other minor mods like XP pump, adj regulator, K&N filter, test pipe & 93 red armstrong chip.

lag

must be your leaks I have a te44 with a stock converter spool is almost instant like the stock turbo only a lot more power did you get a new chip burnt to match your turbo?tune might be a little fat is first?

Te 44

I just installed a new TE-44 on my 87 GN and it spools up alot slower than my stock turbo did. I do have a small exhaust leak where the exhaust header attaches to the turbo (used new gasket). Is this my problem? I think I may have another exhaust leak on the left side header too. I have the orange stripe converter and a few other minor mods like XP pump, adj regulator, K&N filter, test pipe & 93 red armstrong chip.

Which Exhaust Housing do you have.

Leaning out the tune in first gear will help with spoolup. Im doing that right now but with the D5 :eek:

get that exhaust leak fixed. Next, get rid of any stock exhaust components you have left on the vehicle. Make sure you have got a bigger elbow, 3" downpipe, and remember, turbo's hate backpressure. If you still have a stock catalyst, you are hurting the potential of that turbo. I've got alot of the same setup as you do. When I free'd up the exhaust that motor came alive. You can hear that turbo spooling at just under 1200rpm.

The TE-44 turbo that we sell, does require a stall upgrade in order to keep the "as fast as a stock turbo" spool up characteristics that you are used too. This is because of the Precision turbine housing vs the stock Garrett turbine housing. The stock D5 converter, depending on mileage, has a stall range of 2000 - 2400. Some low mileage cars have tighter converters than high mileage cars. The TE-44 that we sell, spools best when combined with a 2800 stall converter. This is mainly due to the Precision turbine housing.

My bet is, the guys that have just as fast spool up as a stock turbo, have a TE-44 from another vendor, that puts a re-cut stock Garrett .63 A/R turbine housing on it.

I get these calls all the time, about our TE-44 not spooling as fast as a stock turbo. A few things you have to remember are, other than the turbine housing internal area size differences between a stock turbine housing and a Precision turbine housing, we have a larger compressor wheel and a larger turbine wheel that are trying to be spooled by the same exhaust energy and stock torque converter. These factors lead to slower spool and when you take away any exhaust velocity with a header leak before the turbo, it absolutely kills the spool up. If your TE-44 has a Garrett turbine housing, then the exhaust leak is killing your spool up.

I agree 110% with what was said earlier, fix your 3-bolt flange exhaust leak first. I would recommend coating the gasket with a layer of high temp copper silicone on both sides and letting it dry/cure for 24-36 hours before running the car. That will help the spool up. Next, if you have a Turbotweak chip, you can pull fuel out of 1st gear, that will help with spool up. And lastly an RJC boost control valve will also help with spool up. These 3 things will get you very close to stock spool up conditions. Fixing the leak and pulling fuel might actually cure it, but adding the valve dramatically helps.

Sorry so long winded.
HTH

Patrick

Thanks for the info. I have the precision exhaust housing. I will fix the exhaust leaks and go from there. I still have the stock down pipe, a test pipe and flowmaster duals.