TDC question

MikeL.

Stay boosted my friends
If the balancer is at zero and both intake and exhaust valves are closed, will this always be TDC on the compression stroke?

I have a no start after a rebuild.

Fuel and spark both verified, running TT SD chip and installing casper led cap per instructions which says to drop in at zero on the balance/timing tab.

Pull the valve cover so you can watch number 1 rockers. Rotate the engine until the intake valve opens and then closes. As the valve closes continue rotating to line up the marker on the balancer. You are now at tdc.

Take your number 1 sparkplug out, Stick your finger in/over the hole,bump the motor around slowly,little by little till it pop's your finger out the spark plug hole,Thats your compression stroke,then check balancer timming mark, then set Cam sensor ,Should fire right up! I have sheet on the process,but it's in My car,an my cars still in Tampa, (i'm in orlando) Make sure you Break your cam in Good!!! 20 minutes at or above 2400rpm

Enjoy!

Just to be SURE........#1 cylinder is the drivers side front cylinder. Just in case you came over from the Ford world.

I forgot to tell you...UNPLUG THE COIL PACK before get your Finger anywhere near the #1 sparkplug Hole !!! an try to bump it over,,you can leave everything else connected!!

How much have you cranked on the motor trying to start??? Be 100% sure you have it at TDC or you will do damage trying to crank it over!! Ask me how I know

Yup #1 cylinder, valve cover off, both intake and exhaust valves closed and the balancer mark is at " 0 " which should be tdc compression stroke.
It ran for a second or two but ran as if plug wires are crossed which I checked. I did notice pressure at the rail was 43 key on engine off. Too high?? Getting closer but not there .

Too late now but next time the engine is on the stand, just before installing it put the Caspers Tool on & set it there. The Caspers Tool self lights & needs no power source so on the stand is so much easier.

The easiest way i've found to find TDC and not need to have someone to help with doing it.

I made a setup with the following pieces.

Sparkplug non-fouler adapter,you can find these in the help section at the auto parts stores they come 2 in a package for $3.99

5 feet of clear vinyl 5/16" OD tubing,i bought it at Lowes for .18 cents per foot.

epoxy sealer to make a permanent connection to the vinyl tubing and the adapter.
I used the permatex 5 minute setup epoxy.

Once you have this simple little tool made you can remove the #1 sparkplug and screw the adapter in and hold the end of the tubing while cranking/bumping the engine over,you will know when the engine is at TDC on the compression stroke when the puff of air comes out of the tubing,then just verify the balancer mark is at '0' on the timing tab. No need to remove the valve cover to check the valves to see if they are closed.

You will never have a problem finding TDC again.

update

I'm going to locate a good known module and cp to rule that out, although mine worked fine prior to rebuild but who knows.

I have a stock cam sensor cap and may try that in place of the Caspers unit to see if that's the culprit.

last of all, I'm running a T/A balancer and am wondering now if anyone has had issues with the timing mark on the balancer (T/A) not located in the same place as a stocker?

all other connections are clean and snug.