TDC question

GN18944

It appears that I have found my misfire. My cam sensor was failing and has now bit the dust all together with the discovery that the metal ring had significant play... then the metal tab broke.

So here is my question. I can't rely on the alignment of the old sensor so I must set TDC. Everything I read is as follows:

Cyl #1 (DS front) my assumption is that front means the cyl closest to the front bumper. Check for the beginning of the compression stroke and wala.. TDC.

That much makes sense to me. However, in the instructions it tells me to then check the timing gear which should be right around the mark for TDC. However, the mark on my crank pulley doesn't come up to the zero mark until cyl number 1 reaches the top of its compression stroke. This doesn't seem right. What am I doing wrong?!

piston will be at top with balancer at zero
take it to top then an additional 25 degrees (1.45") past the tdc point
drop sensor in with dot on cam gear toward pass fender
with cap off cam sensor , window on brass reluctor disc should be at 4 o'clock-3 o'clock
turn the base so that 4 0'clock edge edge of window lines up 180 degrees from the tang slot at the 11clockposition (draw an imaginary line from edge of window through center screw to tang) now tighten down the base bolt, put cap on ..done

you could also use a casper cam tool and follow the directions
http://vortexbuicks-etc.com/cam_sensor.htm

piston will be at top with balancer at zero
take it to top then an additional 25 degrees (1.45") past the tdc point
drop sensor in with dot on cam gear toward pass fender
with cap off cam sensor , window on brass reluctor disc should be at 4 o'clock-3 o'clock
turn the base so that 4 0'clock edge edge of window lines up 180 degrees from the tang slot at the 11clockposition (draw an imaginary line from edge of window through center screw to tang) now tighten down the base bolt, put cap on ..done

you could also use a casper cam tool and follow the directions
http://vortexbuicks-etc.com/cam_sensor.htm

Okay, that makes a WHOLE lot more sense. I didn't think I was doing it right. I guess I was! Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate the bode of confidence.

TDC is the acronym for Top Dead Center. So the piston will be at the very top of its compression stroke. It appears that you followed the directions so well that your unfamiliarity with the acronym didn't get in the way of doing it right.(y)